Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change RAID 1 to no RAID to double capacity on EMC CX-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

U2k8

Technical User
Oct 15, 2008
GB
Hi there,
I have the following situation.
I need to migrate data within a CX-300 disk array (RAID 1).
After migration I should have old data and migrated data. The old data can be deleted later.
I was told that I don't have enough space to do it.

I'd like to ask you whether it's possible:
- change RAID 1 to no RAID to double the capacity
- do the migration
- detete the old data
- change back to RAID 1

I can accept the risk of loosing the old data in case of hardware failure. I also can afford an outage.

My question really is whether it is
- possible at all
- an easy job to do (for someby fearly familiar with EMC)

Thank you very much !
U2k8

Hi,

what i know is that EMC DMX or clariion MUST have a Raid Configuration. only Raid 0 without mirror is not supported, so far i know, maby there is a Way wich i dont know.

Greetz.

Thanks for your reply.
Maybe another question:
Can I reconfigure my EMC form RAID 1 to RAID 5 without lossing the data?, can it be done easly?

Thank you

There is no way to change the RAID level of a RAID Group without removing the data from it first.

Denny
MVP
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

The only way I know is to migrate the data to another device that has been configured with the raid you are looking for. So if you have the space to migrate, that is the route to take.

Yes you can go ahead and reconfigure the EMC from RAID 1 to RAID 5 without lossing the data.

Yes.... you can migrate to a other raid type or disk type by LUN migration feature given that you have enough space to create a LUN with the new raid group of your choice in your Frame. This LUN migration is a non-disruptive process which will not cause any outage or loss of data...

If there is asbolutely no space in your existing array, what you can do is, migrate the data to the any other array with free space then unbind the LUNs on the current array, bind new luns with the raid group of your choice and migrate the data back to the orginial Frame.

--Basha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back