Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change "inch" into "centimetre"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iomega

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
BE
Hi,

In Excel 2000 i would change (convert) the format "inch" into "centimetre".

Could you help me.

In advance,thx !

Not entirely sure what the question is, are you using a different version of Excel and are not sure how to do the same conversion process? or is this an issue with a text description next to a value. e.g. cell content in Edit bar is "2.54" however cell display on worksheet is "2.54 Centimeters" and you want it to show "2.54 Inches".

Please elaborate, I could keep guessing all day but that would bore everybody.

;-)

Matthew

crazy times call for crazy people

CrazyPabs

sometimes I wonder why I even bova...

I'm not completely sure about the question either. If this is what you need, you can go to your Regional Settings under the Windows Control Panel and change the measurement system from U.S. to metric.

Hope this helps!
Tim

:) Matthew and thx ...

I want to the cell display be 2.54 centimeters and not 2.54 inches.

Thx for your help.

The regional settings is on "metric"

Thx Tim

Is your cell displaying...

2.54 inches
now?

You've got to be aot more specific about EXACTLY WHAT is happening.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

With the cell selected go to the menu and click [Format]..[Cells].. is the format listed as custom? if so in the type box is it showing as something like #,##0" Centimeters";-#,##0" Centimeters"

Matthew

CrazyPabs

yes...the cell displaying is now 2.54 inches and i would like to see 2.54 centimeters (automatic convertion)

Thx

Can you firstly place the name of the person you are responding to and then place the reply, it makes life a little bit easier to cope with.

Cheers

Matthew

CrazyPabs

So, it's NOT a conversion at all. It's a FORMATTING issue.

The REAL question: When I enter a numeric value, how can it display that value, along with the word "Centemetres?"

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...

Skip, exactly ...that's the real question

Does my earlier answer go anyway to solving your problem? OK I have written Centimeters rather than Inches but you get the idea.

Matthew

CrazyPabs

Matthew Thx a lot ! It's ok !

Thx to you all !

iomega,

If you had posed you question with more thought, you could have saved yourself nearly an hour of debate and several different answers based on guesses about what you REALLY needed.

It's NOT a hard question and it's NOT a difficult answer!

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back