Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change port for default Web

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2006
US
I have a windows 2003 SBS.

I want to change the port for the default web site and create a new web site using port 80.

The reason is that the default web is used for OWA (Outlook Web Access) and I want to use a not-well-known-port for that and put the company web page on port 80.

So I change the default port of the default web page to something like 1800 and create a new web site and set the port to 80.

Now the default web won't start, event log says that port 80 is already in use. The default web site should be trying to use port 1800 like I set it to.

There seems to be a disconnect beteen the port I see set on the IE configuration applet and the port it is actually trying to use.

Anyone else dealt with this issue? Does anyone know where I might the registry setting for the port on the default web?

if i remember right, default website was always hard coded to that (unless you wack it)

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Funny thing was that it worked at first and then later not.

Can you use public/private port forwarding to map them?

Linksys Router so I can't do port translation.

What I wound up doing was creating a second IP address on the server and tying the new web site to that address on port 80.

The default web is now happy at port 1800 so it appears that the default web was ok at not being set to 80 just as long as nothing else was set to port on the same IP.

I can't say I understand it but it works so I'll just leave at that.

You may want to check the Advanced Web Site Identification settings on the default web in the IIS Mgr. This is the location used to specify additional url and ports (host headers) the site should be listening on. It has been a while since I have touched SBS but I believe the companyweb site is setup with additional host headers.

-Joe

Thanks Joseph, that was it. Never looked at that setting beore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back