Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change PDC Domain Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabo

MIS
Mar 12, 2003
HK
I have only one PDC in NT4 (no other BDCs) with a particular domain name. On the same network, I have a couple of servers with another domain name, running in Win 2000. Now I would like to migrate that only one NT4 server to another domain name. How can I do it, without affecting any existing applications?

Thanks. However, are there any other methods? Although UPromote can help, I have to buy the license activation code to use it. Otherwise, it will only run in demonstration mode.

So, what is your goal: you want to just change domain name or you want to join two different domains?
Those Win2K systems, they have their own PDC, is it correct?

Yes, those w2k systems have their own PDC. Let's say the domain name is ABC. The NT4 server is another PDC but with another domain name (XYZ). I just want to know whether it's possible to change the domain of the NT4 server to ABC and as a BDC of it. If so, how can I do it?

You have to have a PDC on domain ABC, before you can have a BDC. So yes, you can chage the name of the domain, but you must have a PDC available before you can make your existing server a BDC.

...Also you can not have an NT PDC or BDC on a TRUE 2000 network, due to Active Directory.

Trublu is right - if your Win2K domain is in native mode, you cannot do it.
If your W2K domain is in mixed mode - you can do it, but you need additional tools. I have never done it personally, but you would go along the following route (if your apps use domain accounts to run): you would join two domains' account databases (for instance - then you would drop your NT4 PDC to a member server status ( and get it into the W2K domain.

Hope that helps a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back