Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Merlin Messaging admin mailbox from 0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikestl

Technical User
Oct 17, 2003
US
My company has merlin messaging 2.5 installed in a merlin magix 2.0 system. Does anyone know if there is there a way for us to change the administrator mailbox to something other than 0? If that is not possible, is there a way to restrict access so someone calling from an outside line so that they will not be granted access to check mailbox 0? The reason I am asking if because I have concerns as to the integrity of the admin password in merlin messaging. I would rather have offsite administration access blocked alltogether. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any help is apreciated! :)

You can change the password on the mailbox 0 to have up to... I think it is still at 14 digits. I think that someone would have a real tough time cracking that password. There really isn't a way to prevent outside callers from having access to this mailbox if they have the password. Unfortunately, the mailbox cannot be changed either.

Someone wouldnt be able tyo accidently check mail for mailbox 0. UNLESS they pressed *7 and then logged into the admin mailbox. If you are concerned, change the password frequently and write it down.

Thanks for your replies! I understand that you can set a password up to like mentioned something like 14 digits which is a really secure password length.

What I am concerned about however, is that there is a method of bypassing the administrator by use of a special code that avaya put in that is actually LESS than the 6 digits that they reccomend you set the password to (talk about do as I say not as I do). I have checked this method and it works. I can access my company's voicemail administration with it by remote no matter if I have the password or not. It is a code that works on all merlin messaging systems as far as I know and its not serial number specific. I don't want to post this code because that would be contributing to the problem. I didn't want to come right out and mention the existance of a code in the first post becuase I figured that would contribute to it as well. :) To me it seems similar to putting a really fancy tough to get into lock on your home and then having the lock manfacturer leave a key for it under the doormat. I can understand the critical need to put some method in to reset a system with a lost password. However, I think it should be a method that requires a person to be at the physical site, like a reset button on the module. Either that or it should require some information specific to the module like a serial number or other unique number.

What it seems like really needs to be done is a firmware update by avaya that would make this backdoor code unusable for customers that wish to have it disabled. Maybe I should request to them in writing to do this.

Well, that is a backdoor that Avaya/Lucent had put in so when the site administrators lost theirs, avaya could charge you $100 to get in and reset it.

Yeah that is kinda what I figured it was for. Gotta love when security is compromised in the interest of financial gain. I talked to Avaya tech support and they seemed shocked that I knew that code. However I didn't really get a feeling they were going to do much about patching it or rethinking if it should be there. I would think if backdoor codes like this were put into operating systems (for example Microsoft putting in a backdoor in Windows where they can reset passwords) people would be outraged. I suppose phone systems are a whole different animal though.

It seems the only way to force avaya to fix the problem would be to go post the backdoor code all over usenet, hacker/phreaker boards etc. However I don't really beleive in using such guerilla tactics. Plus Avaya would probably have me sued, arrested, rubbed out, etc. Ah well I'm off my soapbox. maybe I should switch to decaf and put down the merlin magix manuals for a while. :)

P.S. This site is great. So many helpful people. It has really helped in learning how this system ticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back