Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change media speed w/o rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mateoosh

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
DE
Hi, Friends :)

Short question: how to change mediaspeed without rebooting (AIX 4.3.3) - I know, the safest way is change speed with smitty devices, apply to database and reboot. But we have here 3 clusters, all of them 24/7. So I should make 6 x takeover and 6 reboots, what really makes me sad ...:(

Just bring down the interface change the speed/duplex and bring it back up. You will be able to note the changes both on the system and on your network switch that your plugged into..

I change duplex/speed for clients all the time on the fly without having to reboot.

F.Soprano

yes you can change it on the fly,
but you have to reboot to make it work.
smit screen will show this message when it done.
At least, it is true in AIX 4.3.3.
I have no a chance to try it on AIX 5L yet.
Why you want to change Ethernet speed?
in default it's AUTO nigociation with Swith(etc.), it should be run in highest speed between adapter and switch.
Do you met some problem?

Hi there,

Finally I decided to make takeover and reboot on all cluster nodes. I need to change ethernet speed because we have some troubles with NFS and that's the way to exclude network for causing problems. So we have already changed ports at switches to 100/Full Duplex and now we must change ethernet cards.
So, thanks for valuable informations.

BR

Mateusz K. / Poland

Would it not be possible to change the media speed and then use `ifconfig en1 down` and `ifconfig en1 up` on the machines' console.

Well the way I have always done this is to login through the console, bring the network device down, and next detach it. Now I can change the media speed to something like 100 Full Dux. Once this is done bring the device back up. Al this can be down through smit or chinet.
Verify your change with netstat -v.
Remember to check you default route before and after the change. Use something like netstat -ir.
Good Luck,
Rick

It works perfectly without having to reboot, exactly as rsnyder presented it!! down detach change speed up and your good to go have done it hundreds of times on a daily basis. It can be verified both on the RS6000 and the switch its attached to.

Thanks Friends for usefull informations ... I'll check it today :) Thanks, again !

BR

Mateusz K. / Poland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back