Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change mac hd

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwartz52758

Technical User
Jun 24, 2003
US
I am pretty sure a friend of mines hard drive is going bad and it neesd changing. I can do a windows fdisk/partition/logical drives, etc, then format and puthe system files in while formatting, and then mload the WINDOWS Operating System. Problem is, friend has a MAC, cough cough, and I have never worked with MACs, cough cough. To install and format a Mac hard drive, can I use a windows boot disk? Are the system files the same? After I do all this, will the MAC Operating system then load? If the system files are different for the MAC, where and how can I get them, ie, help... I know you can go into dos in Windows and sys c: a: to copy the system files to a floppy, how do you do this with a MAC? Thanks for any and all help, just do not want to change the drive and not be able to get the MAC Operating system in.

Terry

I understand your confusion as I am about to attempt the same thing for the first time.
1.System needs to boot from a mac boot disk with drive setup on it. Disk image is available here. 2. I used Gemexplorer to write the image to floppy.
3. If your Mac has a cd drive and your operating system is on the cd, you should be able to boot from the cd and do all the work from it.
4. another helpful site I found is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back