Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change MAC Address NIC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwmaif

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2004
US
How do you force a MAC Address change for a Network Card running on AIX. Need to make a new system's NIC Mac Address the same as another system to communicate with a link. Thanks!

type in 'ifconfig en0 123.123.123.123 netmask 255.255.255.0'
change 123.123.123.123 to your ip address
change 0xffffff00 to the correect netmask
change en0 to the correct ethernet card.

If that works correctly, type in 'smitty tcpip' -> 'minimum configuration and startup' and make the change permanent on system reboot.

Hello mwmaif,

well perhaps there's something i'm not aware of, but i'm not sure that giving two NIC the * same * MAC adresse will help them communicate, as by definition a MAC adress is supposed to be unique.

As far as I know, you can only specify a secondary MAC Adress to your adapter (which I think overrides the default MAC adress) :

smitty eadap=> change/show caracteristics of an eth edapter.

Then "yes" in the field "Use the secondary MAC adress", write the new MAC Adress in the dedicated field, "yes" in the field "Apply change to database only", and reboot.

There's a trick in order not to have to reboot the system, but it makes you lose routing table.

regards, and tell me if i'm wrong

Thank you for the replies very helpful.

Solution.

Set the physical MAC address for NIC.
chdev -l ent0 -a
alt_addr=<new mac addr> -P

Use the new MAC address.
use_alt_addr=yes -P

Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search