Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change IP to Ethernet Device on ARN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bvazquez

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2003
PR
HI:

I'm kind of new to Nortel routers and I need to change the IP Address on a Backstack ARN Router. I know the device name and I can see its properties but I have no idea of how to change its IP. I'd appreciate if anyone can, at least summut a link to command references or something on this routers.

Thanks

HI:

Its me again. I tried ftping the files to my machine but they come out unreadable by text editors maybe as binary even when i specify to get them aschii. Whats wrong? Are those the files I need to edit to change the IP?

Anyone? :)

login into the router

at login:( type) Manager

enter password :

$bcc
bcc>config
box#eth 1/1
eth1/1#ip <ip address>/<mask>

type exit

eg :

box#ip 192.168.100.1/255.255.255.0
ip/192.168.100.1/255.255.255.0# exit
box#exit
bcc>exit
$

Hi:

Thanks for your replay. However I forgot to write down that my router can not run bcc. For some reason it just gives some kind of error that if I'm not mistaken has to do with not having enough memory. I can see the bcc command in the help list but I cannot run it. If you know any other way I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

do you have nortel networks site manager.

if you dont have it, then you can change the IP address using MIB values.

Hi
Saw ur thread
u need 16 mb flash card for bcc to run.
what u can try is connect the router thru console and run install batch file from hyper terminal and follow the instruction.

all the best

OK, it sounds like you the ARN was purchased with only 16MB of memory. If you are not running a carved image file (most people don't), and have a bunch of routing protocols and services configured or enabled, 16MB ain't going to cut it.

To run BCC, you can usually reboot the router and go into BCC right after a reboot if you were getting the mem error. Or, you can purchase a 32MB field upgrade kit for the ARN. And no...you can not use memory from a PC...you need the kit.

After you are able to get into BCC, do the following from a console connection (default hyperterm settings):

config
ethernet/1/1
ip <current IP address>/<current subnet>
delete
ip <new ip address>/<new subnet>

That will effectively change it. If you need to configure OSPF or RIP, you will have to go into that sub-text under the IP interface. Keep in mind when you delete the IP address, that it deletes the routing info tied to it...and the new one will not be configured.

ie:

ospf area <area ID>

This will create the OSPF area. Under there, you can turn on authentication, change the metric costs, MTU size, type, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back