Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

iaguy

Technical User
Dec 10, 2001
US
hpux 10.20, with mirror ux. New corp owner asked us to change IP addr (again.) Use NIS for password and group. automount some remoted dirs. Hey we only have two active boxes left - down from the 14 users we used to have. Started with SAM. Changed IP addr and system hung. message about bind. Didn't use bind. Still stareing at a hung system 8 hours later.

Can I undo or should I get out my reinstall disk? Oh yes, restore tape is for 9.05.

reboot the system into single user mode....

reboot....
interrupt autoboot process.
at prompt enter "bo pri"
it will ask to interact with IPL.....say yes.
at ISL>....type...
ISL> hpux -is

get to prompt and vi /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
in here is the main information for changing the IP address, subnet mask, gateway etc.
change what you need to then save the file.

Now go to multiuser level....type "init 3".
this should run all the startup scripts and hopefully all the networking will come up.

hope this helps.

The easiest way to change ip address is
#set_parms ip_address

But because you are using nis, automounter etc.. you are going to have some problem until all problems are not resolve. You have to change some configuration files.
All configurations are in /etc/rc.config.d/*

Patel

Don't know how multi-tiered your network information is, i.e., are you DHCP-enabled, with the IP you set under DHCP control, and could the DHCP server possibly issue an (totally different) IP Address to DNS on DISCOVERY, but this has thoroughly screwed me up in the past. /etc/rc.config.d/netconf "runs the game" for network settings, but you need to check how your workstation is "recognized" on the network by the various network servers, e.g., NIS,DNS. Is it "registered" in the ETHERS table by that MAC address (`lanscan -a`), if not your machine could be seen on DISCOVERY as an "alien intrusion". Don't know how applicable to your case, but For What It's Worth.
radbam

I tried maverick's suggestion. I get an error that the boot sector is corrupt. I tried to boot from the mirror, but I get a panic and crash. I have no ISL, IPL on the primary disk. I checked the secondary disk AUTO file. It points to the primary disk. ISL lets you see it, but not edit this file. I checked HP SysAdmin manual. It says to check this file and if it is ok, then the system should boot. Doesn't say what to do if it is incorrect.

Can I use another disk to boot the system and then mount the mirror disk somehow to get the data from the mirror disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back