Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change filepath of Tran Log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpicks

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
Hi all. I'm using SQL Server 2000.

Is it possible to change the location of a tran log for an existing db? The tran log is located at the following location "D:\logs\DBName_Log.ldf", but under the db properties, the location is listed as "D:\logs\\DBName_Log.ldf". I didn't create the db, so I'm not sure how this happened. I don't actually want to change the physical location of the tran log, but just want to remove the extra "\" from the location in the db properties.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I have had this issue too. Luckily on smaller DBs. What I did was detached the DB moved the TLog to another location and then reattached the DB.

I then detached again, moved the TLog back to its original location and then reattached.

I also have done a full backup of the DB, detached and renamed the MDF/LDF for safe keeping, created a shell DB w/ the same original name w/ that MDF and LDF located where they should be and then restored the backup.

Thanks

J. Kusch

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back