Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change FieldNames 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davo

Technical User
Aug 7, 2000
US
I have written a lot of code around a filed name. I realised after some testing that the data needs slight modification before it can be used.<br><br>HOW can I change a field name in VBA?<br><br>I could change the import spec and then rewrite a couple of queried but I would prefer to use VBA to change the name of column.<br><br>Cheers,<br>Davo

Can't make a function on so vague a description as you know computers are exact animals.<br><br>Paste a before and after of the data and we can make you a lovely function.<br><br>Example<br>inbound = 8133223232<br>outbound = (813)322-3232<br><br><br><br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

DougP,

Its ok thanks. There are asset identifiers that use combos of numbers and letters. If the asset id has all numbers then the zeros infront of it drop off. But this is only when one file is used in excel (as Excel thinks its a number). The other file is sourced elsewhere and so the asst id always has zeros infront.

ANyway thanks for your help but i'm ok now.
PS. I read your thread on Access 2000. Does this mean you will change to a different DataBase product? We are bringing in Oracle 8 and I haven't worked with it yet.

No I'll just stick with Access' 97<br>Our Accounting package is on Microsoft SQL Server 7 so I'll be learning that.<br>From what I hear Oracle is very difficult. Everything is done in SQL statements. Not very many people know it well.<br>And those that do command a high salary.<br>Access runs circles around it for productivity, but Oracle and SQL Server are designed to hold monsterous amounts of data. They also are a very fast cause they are True Client/Server Relational databases.<br>They must run on a server and clients sends requests for data. So only the result is sent back to the client. Access drags the whole database back and forth.<br> <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back