Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change drive letter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

secondreckoned

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
CA
This is probably simple to do...How can I re assign the drive letter of a data partition from 'D' to 'E' and the assigned letter of my cd drive from 'E' to 'D'? Appreciate any help.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage", then go down to "Disk Management". Change the CD to something else first, then change the partition to E:\, then move the CD back to D:\.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Go to start button, then to settings, then to control panel. Once in Control Panel select Administrative Tools. Then select Computer Management. Once in Computer Management, select Disk Management. Your drives will then come up and you can right click on the one you want to change. Select Change Drive Letter and Path from the right click then change it to what you want it to be.

Cheers

wayneman thats the same thing lander just said, read the fourm before posting. try both ways you end up in the same place yours just takes longer.

WayneMan is right . That is something which happens from time to time.

I was wondering if somebody can help me change my floppy drive which is currently labelled as B: to A:. I have an IBM ThinkPad 770E laptop running Windows 2000 Professional. I tried going into Disk Management but my drives don't show up - only my hard drive shows. My laptop has swappable drives, I don't know if that is what's causing the problem. Currently my swappable CD drive is labelled as D:, hard drive obviously is C:, my swappable floppy is B: and the A: (which does exist) is registered as another floppy drive which I can't access. Let me know if you can help out.

An idea to check the BIOS settings (probably press DEL at startup) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back