Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Domain Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRD

Technical User
Dec 14, 2005
US
Exchange 2007 is up and running under our old domain name. What will I need to do to add a new domain name? I was told that I cannot remove/or change the current domain because it is the same as the file server.

In the Exchange Console -> Organization -> Hub Transport -> Authorized Domains. Add the new domain name there.

Then go into the Email Address Policies tab and find the Default Email Address Policy (this is one way to do it), and go through the wizard and add the new domain to the list of domains that users will have aliases created for.

If you have some users that will use one domain name as their reply address and others that will use a different one, that's a little more involved--you could either manually uncheck the box on each non-standard user's profile that says "Apply email address policy" and then manually specify what their reply address will be, or you can create a whole new email address policy that uses some filtering logic to determine which users should have that special policy applied.

Typically I filter by the Company field in the User properties, and I populate that Company field on each non-standard user's account. Since Company is one of the few fields that you can populate during a mass-select in Active Directory Users and Computers, it makes it fairly easy to set the Company property for a large number of users at once, effectively configuring them for a custom email address if you have that additional email address policy in place.

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net

I've done those things. I can send/receive internally, but not externally.
If a sender tries to send to me he gets the following error:

domain system error:
host domainname.org:
mail exchanger has no ip addresses

If I try to send out I get the following error:
Delivery Delayed

Sounds like you don't have a working MX record for the new domain. You need to set up an MX record in DNS that points to an A-record that resolves to your site's external IP.

Check out how your current domain DNS is configured and you'll see there's an MX record that points to something like mail.domain.com. And there's a record for 'mail' that points to your IP address.

The MX record at your additional domain can be EXACTLY the same as the MX record for your other domain. So you can have an MX record at Dippydomain.com that points to mail.company.com. So really you only need to create an MX record, and you should be good.

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back