Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Domain name in running Signalling Server for UCM primary and backup security server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

optman10

Technical User
Sep 10, 2013
MA
Hi all

We have install a new CS1000 Rls 7.6 with Primary security server UCM and backup security server, now the customer request us to change the domain name of Linux server, I would like to have the procedure of changing the FQDN on both SS and also what's the impact of this change in existing CS1000 elements (Call Server, MGCs...etc) ??

Thank you

best regards

I pretty much thought it was a re-build from scrach as it is one of the base parameters, I know you can change base parameters but it was always better to re-build.

Good luck..... [glasses]

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

If you don't rebuild it you will have nothing but headaches.

So no other way, we must rebuild all things from scratch....!!!!! and it will take a lot of time...The customer is in prod so it will be difficult to it...

I think if we use baseparamsconf parameter under linux, it will resolve the issue but I didn't never use it.

Thanks & regards

Ive used it, & ended up re-building it. dont know why or how it just seems to throw some strange issues which were resolved when it was re-built.

Scott UK

Thank you very much, I will confirm this with my customer and inform him that it take so much time to change the domain name.

Using baseparamsconfig is a bad idea, you will end up rebuilding it regardless so you may as well do it to begin with. It will probably take you all of 2 to 3 hours per server to rebuild, deploy and patch.

for rebuilding the both SS, it will interupt other elements, like Call Server, MGCss ??

may I need to unregister all element from UCM domain ? I start by rebuilding Backup UCM or Primary UCM ?

Thanks & regards

If it is a CoRes it will interrupt all functions. Really no need to unregister elements but you can if you want. You have to build the Primary first because when you do the security config on the backup you have to point it to the primary and it pulls the fingerprint and lets you proceed. If these are CoRes then your time frame will be longer but still should be under 3 hours for each box if you have done it before.

Thank you for your reply, yes I have already did the installation of Linux base and deployement applications, but never rebuilt it on existing setup, that's why I ask.

The SS is not co-resident, it's standalone within CPDC card and seperate CPPM Call server.

Regards

Just make sure when it asks if you want to format the admin partition you say YES, that way you have a fresh install. Having the separate Call Server and SS will actually make it easier and faster.

Now I can confirm to my customer that there is no downtime on the system, because he has only TDM phones, and no ip phones that make it easier (no reboot of MGCs or Call Server)

Many thanks

King regards

You will have to register the MGC's into the new Security Domain as well as the Call Server. This will likely cause an outage on the MGC cards while they are registering. I have seen quite often where you have to flatten the MGC cards to the Gold Image after a reinstall of UCM. If your VGW channels won't go active/idle this is your issue.

defo re-format mgc's, & you will have some limitted down time

Scott UK

You means it will be donwtime only after rebuilting UCM servers and trying to register MGC on the new UCM.

to flatten the MGC cards I will use Ctrl + I during boot, right ?

Thanks

Here is the process

MGC Default to Gold Image

To get the MGC Card to boot to the Gold Image you must get to the MGC bootrom prompt. Use the following steps to do this.

1. Reboot the MGC Card
2. as it is booting type <CTRL> B just after the creation date is printed and the
{VxWorks Boot} prompt should be displayed.
3. at the prompt type in “test”
4. choose option b to change boot options
5. select option 2 to force csp to boot from gold image once
6. select option 0 to return to previous menu
7. press return key to exit menu and return to prompt
8. enter @ at the prompt
9. the mgc will boot to the gold image

To format the compact flash from the gold image you must press <CTRL> I when prompted during the MGC gold boot. This will bring up a VxWorks prompt ->, At the prompt enter, diskformat “all” This will format the MGC’s internal compact flash. Reboot the MGC and when it registers to the call server it will automatically upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back