Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change domain for an user profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

buee04

Technical User
Jun 27, 2002
US
Hi, thanks for looking. I have two accounts on my computer: the Admin account (my computer domain) and the one that I use that logs in to my school domain. I recently changed to the workgroup from the school domain on my Admin account not realizing that it applied to the computer and not specific to that profile and now I can't can't back to the profile that I use.

I now don't have the option to choose which domain to connect to and when I check the user profiles, the one that I want is "unknown account". And because I am out of school, I can't connect back to school domain and therefore cannot verify the domain when i try to change it back.

I know that this may seem a bit confusing and I apologize but could someone please help?

Thanks again.

buee04

You're right - your post is confusing.

What exactly are you wanting? When you removed yourself from domain, all domain user ids became inaccessible/invalid to your machine. But, your domain profile is still on your machine (as at last time you logged on to domain) - so you can copy whatever you need out of it (Outlook Express emails are best imported to your current local version of OE).

Once back at school, you can reconnect to school domain (or have school ICT person/technician do this, as you'll need a doamin id with sufficient privileges).

Please post back if this is not sufficient.

Hi wolluf,

I want to log back into my school domain profile mainly so that I can get to my inbox for Outlook. But since I am out of school and cannot validate the domain, I can't log in with that profile.

I tried copying the profile in the advanced user settings, but when I highlighted the unknown account, the 'copy to' button was still inactive.

Please let me know what I can do. If there is no way to log back into the account, how do I import/export my inbox for Outlook?

Thanks.

Open OE in local user, then choose Import, Messages. Select the OE6 from the list & then import from and OE6 store directory. Then use browse to navigate to the profile folder from domain account - OE stuff in something like:
\Documents and Settings\doaminusername\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{90B064F5-7B44-4C16-A65B-4907C3746B7F}\Microsoft\Outlook Express. Should get option to import any messages there.

I think I have browsed through my documents and settings trying to import the outlook preferences but could not find the specified folder. But I have navigated to it before but it wasn't there last time I checked for some reason.

So what I'm asking is, what if there's no Local Settings folder?

Then you may have a problem retrieving your OE messages. Try searching the profile & its subfolders for inbox.dbx - where messages are stored (in case OE has been using another location - you can change this in OE options - I suppose it may have been set to save on the server).

Okay, I'll give that a try when I get back to my computer. I'm currently at another school working now so I won't be able to try this out right away. But in any case, I think I know what to do now so thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back