Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Dir Name on NT4 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

janpetrucci

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
I am trying to run a DOS program from our NT4 server.

The server is mapped to our Novell Server

The DOS program accesses files on our the Novell Server.

The problem is that the Novell Drive is named 'F'.

The NT4 server's CD Drive is also named 'F' so it will not give the name of 'F' to the Novell Drive.

Does anyone know if I can just change the name of the CD drive to something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

JP

Run disk administrator, right click on the cdrom drive, change drive letterand path to whatever, maybe z:

Thanks Stiddy.

Do you know if changing the CD rom drive letter name will affect the server
when it reboots?

JP

It should not effect anything, but if all you are trying to do is map a drive to the Novell server which has some kind of data on a drive named F: you don't neccessarily have to map your drive form the NT server using drive F:. Keep in mind that I am not that familiar with Novell. But in windows nt from the command line you could just type:

net use * \\NovellServersName\SomeSharedFolder

and this should map a drive to the Novellserver\SharedDirectory using what ever available driver letter the NT box has that is not being used. I am just taking a guess that your NT server is using at least C,D,E becuase you cd rom took F.

I am actually running an ASP page which executes a DOS program. The program uses a data file on the Novell F drive. Changing the program would be difficult so I first wanted to see if I could just change the CD drive name.

Thanks again.

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back