Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change dial up to Broadband 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDIDIT

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
GB
I have a new client that runs exchange server 2000, and dials up to get their emails.

We have moved them to new offices where they have broadband. The server connects quite happily to the internet but still insists on dialling up to get the emails.

We can't seem to locate where it is set to dial and change it. It currently has an SMTP connector set up but couldn't find anything there to change.

It is probably running a POP service, check the running services for any and uninstall (if needed).

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Thanks Marc I will check for the POP service.

What if I wanted to retain the dial up incase the broadband link was down?

Is it possible to have both with broadband taking priority.

Pete

I have no idea, as we don't know which it is at this point.

Check the following:
1. Open your internet explorer.
2. Click on Tools
3. Choose Internet options
4. click on the Connections tap
5. Check the Dial-up Settings section....
6. Make sure that Always dial my default connection is NOT CHECKED.

If CHECKED, change it to Never dial a connection or the other option depending on your needs.

That will disable the auto-dialing feature, such that when you want to use dialup again, you have to initiat the connection manually.

Thanks.
Isokocons

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check the explorer but I am pretty sure it is not set to dial up as it uses the broadband connection for explorer and only dials up for exchange.

I did check the services that were running though and it is running the following that seemed relevant.
Microsoft Exchange IMAP4
Microsoft Exchange POP3
Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine
Microsoft Exchange Information Store

It was also running an SMTP service as well.

Sounds like the email client is set for remote connection. Right click on Outlook Icon, and go to properties (this is for Outlook XP) Click on Email accounts
choose view or change existing accounts Highlight exchange server and click Change then click more settings. Click on the connections tab cnd change it to connect through my LAN. See if this is what is causing your issue. You can always change it back if your Broadband goes out. By the way you can also go in Outlook, click on Tools and find email accounts or services to get to where I am speaking of.

Techy69 thanks for the suggestion.
Perhaps you could help fill a gap in my knowledge here.

Would an email client actually be running on the server?

Wouldn't exchange server be responsible for getting the emails from the host.

Or is it that Exchange server effectively has a client running within it.

I may be totally wrong but I don't recall seeing an email client account running on the server, so unless it is hidden within exchange server, I am wondering how the server still manages to make a dial up call as scheduled in the delivery option of the connector.

I will check next visit anyway, thanks again.

Sorry, must have misread the post. You say this is an exchange server dialing up to get emails? Where is it dialing to? What is it connecting to in order to get these emails?

It is definitely a server running MS Windows 2000 server and MS Exchange 2000 server.

The client has an email account with demon and they have dialup access which they have been using for sometime. They have been in the old building for the last 7 years. Two months ago we moved them across into the new building that is equipped with broadband.

Although we can connect the server happily to the internet over broadband, we cannot achieve the same result for Exchange server and it doesn't seem obvious where the dial up is actually set. Marcs41 suggested that it might be running a POP service, and I certainly found that in the list of services and it was running. I don't know how to a modify that service and I am not sure I simply want to delete it. Afterall it is the only way the server collects emails at the moment. What I want to be able to do is create a broadband connection with a cheaper cost than the dial up so that it always defaults to the broadband when available and if not reverts back to the dial up which is already set up and working.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Go into System Manager and look under Tools for Site Replication services and see what you have setup. This may not be it, but I am figuring your solution is found somewhere with System Manager. I will research a bit more.

A little trick that may help identifying what or where the dialup acces is used.

Disable the modem on the server, 'something' should pop up or at least generate Event entries.

Then you will have more info to work with, and besides, I assume you don't need the modem anymore anyway.

By the way, how are the users (for your Client) checking their emails? Through an Outlook client connecting to the Exchange server? If so, is it a dialup situation when they run their clients? or are the accessing email directly from the 2000server\exchange machine(console)?

The users run outlook to the exchange server no dial up involved they simply pick up from the server over the LAN.

Disabling the modem or removing a service has to be a last resort unless I have first put inplace a replacement connection. Firstly because I will stop them receiving emails, not a problem in the short term, but secondly given that I am stopping something i don't how it was started suggests that I might not be able to restart it which would make things much worse than they are now.

Thanks for the posts and the suggestions I am building a list of things to try when I am next there.

I did mean to stop (disable) it temporaraly, not permanent, and when no-one is there of course.
It will allow you to troubleshoot which services or apps use that connection.

marcs41 - I am happy I can stop and restart the service I take it it is the Microsoft Exchange POP3 service and not any of the others listed above? Even stopping the modem I can sort out.

I think the reason I feel a little reluctant to take either of these steps is because I don't have a clue what is likely to happen after i have done that. Will I even notice the difference other than they don't get emails.

Where can I look to see new emails appearing or progress of new emails?

Techy69
I looked at the links you sent to Demon, thanks for those, I realised that I had already been there, I also think that their Microsoft Exchange page relates to the original client predating Outlook as opposed to Exchange Server. I have exchanged emails with Demon tech support and they have sent me the settings to use and if I was setting up a normal POP3 account I would not have a problem. Its just whatever they have done in exchange 2000 that I don't get. In Exchange Server 5.5 there used to be Internet Mail Service which had both a dial up and connections tab under the properties. I can't find where that is in 2000 or what it has been replaced with and I find it confusing that probably the most fundamental bit of setting up an exchange server, i.e. picking up the emails, assuming you haven't got MX records pointing directly to it, doesn't seem to exist.

You connection settings in Exc 2000 are in the SMTP Virtual server.
For that, see:
and

About the steps to take, the only thing you will take down is the connection, be it temporaraly, it will not 'hurt' the server setup, just generate errors. It is those errors that can point you to excatly which app or service is using them, which will then in turn point you to where to go an dinvestigate and modify.
After that quick test-disable, just enable it again and all will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back