Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change default windows application icon for app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shift838

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2003
US

I am trying to figure out how to change the default windows application icon on my project. I can get the icon to change that appears in the task bar when the application is running, but I want to change the default windows application icon to the actual executable, so it shows the icon in Windows Explorer and as a shortcut on the desktop.

I have tried to change it under the Project properties --> application tab for icon, but that has done nothing.

All I do is set the Icon property of the startup form and that sets the icon for the exe, shortcuts, etc.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

That is what I thought, but I did that and it works as far as the icon in the task bar changes and the icon on the application title (left corner), but the shortcut or the icon in Windows explorer still shows the default windows application icon.

the icon in Windows explorer still shows the default windows application icon"
At which file are you looking?

Look in: bin - Debug - YourProjectFile.exe, it should have your icon.

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

it does not. it has the default windows application icon, even though I have set it. when launched it shows the right icon in the task bar, but that's it.

What are to properties of your icon (e.g., size)?

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Properties show:

256 x 256 pixels
32 bit depth
361kb

Sorry for the delay. Try converting your image into an actual icon (.ico), 16x16 or 32x32.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back