Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change default style? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

poblano

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
US
I'm running Quark XPress 5.01 on a Mac using OS X. I'm trying to update a document (40+ page booklet) created on another machine, a Mac, I think. I have the font and picture files used to create last year's booklet, but when I open the document, anything tagged with the Text paragraph style (based on Normal character style) appears in small caps, italic. The Text style sheet shows plain text, that is, the small caps and italic boxes are not checked. The same thing happens with the URL character style. Both Normal and URL are based on No Style.

I imagine this is a problem with a default style somewhere, but I can't find it in the (very unhelpful) Quark help files or anywhere else. Solutions? [surprise]

Sorry. I just realized that I'm actually running Quark 5.01 in the OS 9 Classic environment of my Mac, not the OS X area. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Make sure that the fonts are stored in System Folder/Fonts. That's the Classic (9) folder. If the fonts are stored in Library/Fonts, they are only accessable by OSX apps.

Make sure that the person who sent you the file didn't do something wierd. I've gotten things where they typed using caps lock and then went to a small caps style - resulting in problems. Try selecting some text and see what pops up as the formatting for that text. Also the font could be an italic or small caps version (PS) - not requiring styling. Check what the font is and whether it's TT or PS.

Believe it or not, this problem turns out to be a mirage, almost literally. After checking the location and type of my fonts, thanks to jmgalvin, I went back to editing. When I zoomed in to 200 percent, the font appeared in the right case! So this is simply an artifact of screen display.

To double-check, I printed a page. Lo and behold, the font came out exactly right. I'm not sure what is causing such a bizarre display bug, but at this point I don't care! [smile2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back