Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change default html editor? (other from list)

Status
Not open for further replies.

remyvrs

Programmer
Jul 12, 2005
RO
hello!
i want to change my default html editor for internet explorer (the one that opens when i select view source) and in the list from Internet explorer->Programs-> HTML editor combo selector there isn't the option that i want.
The question is : how do i add an entry to this list?

Thanks very much!

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Thanks for your attitude!

Run REGEDIT, follow the following directions to the proper key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
|- Software
|-- Microsoft
|--- Internet Explorer
|---- View Source Editor
|----- Editor Name (Default) = C:\windows\notepad.exe

If View Source Editor doesnt exist (but it should) then create the Key "View Source Editor".
Then create a Key within that named "Editor Name". Modify the "(Default)" value to make it point towards any program on your computer using its full path; for example: "D:\Tools\Notepad2\Notepad2.exe" (without the quotes).

Once you have this set, change the following registry value to "No" : (This is key you may need to add).

I'm sorry, you also asked about adding to the drop down list of programs for HTML Editor (other areas of Internet Options, Programs are handled differently).

Adding HTML Editors
The steps for adding HTML editors to the drop-down list on the Programs tab of the Internet Options dialog box in Internet Explorer 5 and later are slightly different than the steps for adding client applications like mail and news.

Register the HTML editor in the OpenWithList file type association of .htm files.

HKEY_CLASSSES_ROOT
.htm
OpenWithList
MyEditor.exe

Add shell, edit, and command subkeys to the editor's HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications registry entry. The "%1" parameter refers to the file name of the active Web page.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT or HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Applications
MyEditor.exe
shell
edit
FriendlyAppName= My HTML Editor
command
(Default) = "%ProgramFiles%\MyHTML\MyEditor.exe" "%1"

Note The edit subkey is required. If the FriendlyAppName value is missing, the application itself is queried for this information.
Close and reopen the browser for these changes to take effect.

Setting the Default HTML Editor
In Internet Explorer 5 or later, whenever the HTML editor is selected from the drop-down list on the Programs tab of the Internet Options dialog box, the Edit with... command on the File menu is updated to reflect the selection.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Internet Explorer
Default HTML Editor
Description= My HTML Editor
shell
edit
command
(Default) = "%ProgramFiles%\MyHTML\MyEditor.exe" "%1"

Note Applications such as FrontPage check this key to determine if they are registered as the default HTML editor.
Selecting a View Source Editor
By default when you use the View Source feature of Internet Explorer it launches Notepad as the text editor. The following registry key will allow another source editor to be used:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Internet Explorer
View Source Editor
Editor Name
(Default) = C:\Program Files\MyHTML\MyEditor.exe

Note Changes to this registry value take effect immediately. No environment variables (such as %ProgramFiles%) or command line arguments are allowed. The filename of the cached HTML file is passed as the first argument on the command line.

thanks for your efort bcastner but i it's one of these:
-i haven't undertood very well what you meant by your instructions ... is the fact that i haven't found the key "View Source editor" under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->Software->Microsoft->
so could please help with that too?...!

thanks

1. Copy the indicated below, as we are going to paste it into notepad:

-------- start copy/paste below this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor\Editor Name]
@="C:\\Windows\\notepad.exe"

-------- end copy/paste above this line (keeping the one blank line)

2. Open notepad and paste this into notepad.

3. In notepad, edit the line I marked above in boldface. For example, if my favorite HTML editor was, with full path:

C:\Program Files\Crazy Editor\crazyhtml.exe
I would edit the notepad line as follows:

@="C:\\Program Files\\Crazy Editor\\crazyhtml.exe"

The above is in quote marks because the path has spaces in it. The double "\\" is a batch file convention suggesting that the "\" is a literal.

4. Save the file as "HTML_Editor_Fix.reg"

(If you use "'s, notepad will not try to name the file:
HTML_Editor_Fix.reg.txt)

5. Locate the file and double click it. Answer yes to the prompt to merge with your registry. If the filename and path were entered correctly, you have now replaced your View Sources editor.

Reboot to test.

thank you very much bcastner!
i managed to get my goal which of course was to set the default html editor as i wish.
deep thank!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back