Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change default driver path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tessai2003

Technical User
Oct 13, 2003
FR
Hi guys,

I have a tiny problem with my computer, my company is using some kind of unattended setup to image the computers...

The problem is that whenever I want to add new devices, it looks after drivers in a customized place like c:\d\05

Not really serious but just a bit annoying...

Do someone know where I could adapt this path ?

Thanks in advance,

Stephane

Hi bcastner,

Thanks for the link but this site is explaining how to modify the path for an unattended setup... what I already have...

My problem is that after this unattended setup, when I want to add a device that is obviously part of the drivers used for the unattended setup and was located on c:\d\05 ...

At a later time if I want to add this device the computer is looking to c:\d\05 as mentionned in the winnt.sif ... he's still looking there and don't want to look into the c:\winnt\system32\drivers anymore...

I'm wondering why ??

Cheers,

Stephane

Oh yes,

The c:\d\05 has been deleted after setup of course... that's why the driver is not found :-(

Okay, I understand the issue better.

Determine whether you want to copy the drivers locally or to store them on a central distribution server. If you want to store the drivers locally on the computer's hard disk, you must have a method to copy the drivers to the computer (for example, by using logon scripts, Microsoft Systems Management Server batch jobs, or other methods).

After you determine the distribution method, obtain the path for the device drivers. If you want to copy them locally, the path may be C:\Drivers\Nic. If you want them centrally located server, the path may be \\ServerName\Drivers\Nic (where Drivers is a shared folder).

Update the DevicePath key in the local computer's registry to reflect the new OEM driver locations. You must have an automated method to remotely update the registry key. You can use Regedit files together with logon scripts or an SMS batch job. You can find the default value in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath: REG_EXPAND_SZ:%SystemRoot%\Inf

Use Regedit.exe to edit the DevicePath key so that path where the drivers are located is included in the search path.

For example, if the drivers are copied locally to the root of the drive on which the %WinDir% folder resides (Drivers\Nic), the DevicePath final value should read as follows:
DevicePath: REG_EXPAND_SZ:%SystemRoot%\Inf;%SystemRoot%\Drivers\Nic

If the drivers are kept on a centrally located server or distribution point, add the UNC path to the OEM-supplied drivers. For example:
DevicePath: REG_EXPAND_SZ:%SystemRoot%\Inf;\\ServerName\ShareName\Drivers\Nic

NOTE: %SystemRoot% is not automatically appended in the preceding case because the Setup process does not add the values. You must manually type the value of %SystemRoot% when you edit the registry.

After you have completed these steps and new hardware is installed, and then a user logs on, Plug and Play locates the new hardware and searches the device paths that you specified to locate the OEM-supplied drivers. Please note that all the rules that apply to signed and unsigned drivers also apply to devices installed after Setup. If the OEM-supplied drivers for the new device are not digitally signed and a nonadministrator user logs on to the computer after the new hardware is installed, the user cannot complete the installation of the device until an administrator logs on to the computer.

Thanks for your help but I already have %systemroot%inf in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DevicePath:

And still this c:\d\05 arise when I have to install a new driver for my USB mouse...

Actually I think that (after log checking) the specific driver for my USB mouse has to be found on c:\d\05... and not anywhere else maybe ? because it has been defined on the unattended setup file...

For the other devices I haven't been able to test ...

No.

Append to the device driver search path. Everyone has %windir%, create a folder and append in the registry:
bcastner said:
For example, if the drivers are copied locally to the root of the drive on which the %WinDir% folder resides (Drivers\Nic), the DevicePath final value should read as follows:
DevicePath: REG_EXPAND_SZ:%SystemRoot%\Inf;%SystemRoot%\Drivers\Nic

In your case, the path should read: DevicePath: REG_EXPAND_SZ:%SystemRoot%\Inf;%SystemRoot%\Drivers\Nic;C:\my_new_driver_folder

There are sometimes failures when there are GUID issues with the driver, but append your newly created folder to the search path, reboot, test, and report back.

Hello,

I tried what you explained me but unsuccesfully... the path is still remaining on the c:\d\05

IT's not a big issue anyway... I'll correct the path manually each time...

Thanks for your help anyways !!

Stephane

Tessai2003,

I am sorry it did not work for you. Look carefully. Editing REG_SZ values is a tricky thing.

It make sme happy that somehow you got the issue sorted.
Bill

Talk about typing without looking....

Tessai2003,

I am sorry it did not work for you. Look carefully. Editing REG_SZ values is a tricky thing.

It would make me happy that somehow you got the issue sorted.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back