Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change default behavior for "find and replace"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulnaoar

Technical User
Jun 8, 2005
CA
In Access2003, in "find and replace" screen, the "search field as formatted" box is ticked as default, which make searching process in a huge table very slow. Is there a permanently way to set this box not ticked? Also in the "find and replace" screen, the shourtcut menu (right click menu) is not working, is there a way to set up the right click menu?

Thanks in advance, any tips is much appreciated!!

Code your Find operation in VBA using DoCmd.FindRecord - this takes a number of parameters (search Access VBA help for the FindRecord Method), one of which is Search Field as formatted and can be true or false.

[pc2]

Like MP9 said you can make your own pop-up find and replace form, and use something like he suggested. This would make it more tailored to your needs, and more user friendly. If you build your own form, one helpful thing to remember is that you can set the "look-in" combobox to "Field List" to choose which field/s to search.

If this is really a big table, you may want to work with the tables recordset or recordset clone and use recordset findfirst mehtod. I do not know if that is faster than the Docmd find record function, my guess is that it would be faster.

Thanks both for your tips. So, there is no way to change the default setup in that screen, or its coding. I have to create my own form. How about the shortcut menu, the right click menu doesn't work in that screen too. We do use the Find operation a lot, the searching speed is good without that annoying box ticked. The Access didn't have that box in ealier version.

Thanks again for your help!

Annie

I am not saying there is no way to set the default behavior, I just do not know of one. Most likely there is. Maybe it can be done using the windows API. You might want to try in that forum. I just suggest that you can probably build a better tailored utility, especially if concerned about speed. Not sure what shortcut menu you are referring to. Did you dissallow short cut menus at startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back