Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Default Administrative Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomenicoC

Technical User
Mar 1, 2004
US
Hello,

How do you change the defualt adminstrative group assigened when creating a distribution list?

To understand what I am referring to:

Open AD, view the properties of a distirubution list and click the exchange advanced tab, at the bottom you will see Administrative Group: name of admin group.

Please help,

Dom

The administrative group that shows on this tab is not an Active Directory administrative group, it is an Exchange Administrative group. This is the group that your Exchange server belongs to. If you only have one Exchange server, you cannot change this setting. The purpose of this is to tell you what exchange administrative group is responsible for expanding the distribution list when processing mail.

It is only for back end processing, it has nothing to do with the actual management of the distribution list.

Make sense?

Yes that makes sense, but how do you change the defualt exchange administrative group for a specific adminstrative group? I can't find the setting anywhere.

We have multipule admin groups and we would like to set a specific admin group to select its own administrative group for expansion.

I am not an exchange expert, please help!

Cheers,

Dom

Do you have more than one exchange server? If not, there is no way to change the Exchange Administrative Group it is assigned to.

I suggest you visit technet.microsoft.com and search the Exchange documentation for Administrative Group to get a better understanding of what it is. It seems as if you are confusing it with AD Administrative Groups as far as function, but they are very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back