Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change dc to standalone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derson

MIS
Oct 2, 2002
GB
i am trying to use dcpromo to change a dc (win2k sp3) to a stand alone as the whole AD is screwed unfortunately i cant do this as it fails to access the enterprise admin account as the dc isn'y working??? i simply want to recreate the domain again from scatch but dont want to format etc
any help greatlt appreciated as i have spent a long time building these servers
derson

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills
and listening to repetitive electronic music."

You would need to DCPROMO and demote the server first, then repromote it and create your new Domain again...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

thanks for getting back the problemis when i try and do this but it fails because the "rpc locater cannot be found" although this is started?
thanks again

yes thats right i have finally demoted change to workgropu and recreated domain dns etc ansd still ahve the same problems although i can signon to the domain locally no one else can ad i cannot open anyAD tools in mmc ?? i gues it must be a dns problem?

If you can sign on to the Domain locally, it sounds like it is working... Until you say you cannot open AD users and computers. If you go to a Run command and run DSA.MSC does it open? If not, what error message are you receiving?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

thanks for all your help have tried everyhting and even after deciding to rebuild NTDSUTIL couldnt get rid of the domain so i have completley rebuilt from format.. ahh what fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back