Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change DataSource for SQL Command 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddamsgaard

Technical User
Jun 30, 2003

I have a report based on an SQL Command located on a test server. I would like to move the report to a production server.

I have tried various combinations from:
Set Datasource Location
Verify Database
Database Expert
Log On or Off Server

Nothing works.

I have searched Google and Business Objects Knowledge Base but did not find anything useful.

Does anyone know if this can be done? If it can't be done, that's worth knowing too.

Right now, I'm just testing. But if I develop a complex report based on an SQL Command on a test server, I think I would be disappointed if I couldn't easily move it to a production server. Perhaps more than disappointed.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
MDD

It can and is frequently done.

Try posting the Crystal version, database and connectivity used, and the SQL.

A Set Location should suffice, and unless your SQL is explicitly coded for a specific server or instance or whatever, it will execute on that server.

-k

Thank you for your reply.

I use Crystal Reports XI.

I have two DSNs (TEST and PROD) one pointing to an Oracle test server and one pointing to an Oracle production server.

To get the SQL Command to work, I have to qualify the table. A simple example for the test server:

Select * from T80310.GLNAMES.

So the question is how can I migrate a report based on this SQL Command. On the production server, I'll need to change the code to:

Select * from P80310.GLNAMES

Thanks

Hi,
As long as you need to fully-qualify the table name, you cannot use the same Sql Command..
Why not create a synonym for those tables so that their name will be the same in both instances.
Or create views with the same name...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Yep, you're explicitly coding there.

A synonym is a good approach, as is creating a View.

This isn't a Crystal concern, this would happen with any tool that you're manually entering the SQL in, you have different tables involved.

-k

Our test server is down for maintenance right now, so I can't try out the synonym approach. It looks like it will work.

I'll try Monday and let you know.

Thanks to both of you for your on-target help. I sincerely appreciate it.

MDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back