Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change Currency Format in MS Access Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaMcD1

Technical User
May 13, 2006
US
I have a MS Access query with a total value sum field (tlval) that returns dollar values in varying string sizes, i.e. billions, millions, thousands, etc. How can I reduce the length of the string? If the dollar value is in Billions or Thousands, I want to both round down and show these amounts in a Millions format. Examples: for $1,235,856,890, I need to show as $1236M. And $8,940 shown as $.009M. All amounts less than a thousand dollars I want to keep as-is.

Have a look at the IIf function.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Hi

Could you put the tlval expression to something like the following:

Code:
iif(sum([valuefield])>1000, "$" & str(format([valuefield]/ 1000000, "0.00")) & "M", "$" & str(format([valuefield], "0.00")))

Obviously [ValueField] is the field that you are needing to sum

Steve

I can't figure-out how to incorporate the expression you suggested into my SQL statement? Whenever I try changing "valuefield" to either the field being summed (OBL) or the new field (TLVAL) in the query, I get syntax or other errors, etc. Below is my original SQL - can you please help?

SELECT KRTMSTR.CUSTDOD, Sum(KRTMSTR.OBL) AS [TLVAL]
FROM CMODOAC INNER JOIN KRTMSTR ON CMODOAC.DODAC = KRTMSTR.CMODOD
GROUP BY KRTMSTR.CUSTDOD;

Try the following:

Code:
SELECT KRTMSTR.CUSTDOD, iif(sum(KRTMSTR.OBL)>1000, "$" & str(format(KRTMSTR.OBL / 1000000, "0.00")) & "M", "$" & str(format(KRTMSTR.OBL, "0.00"))) AS [TLVAL]
FROM CMODOAC INNER JOIN KRTMSTR ON CMODOAC.DODAC = KRTMSTR.CMODOD
GROUP BY KRTMSTR.CUSTDOD;

P.S. Sorry if it doesnt work, its a bit hard trying to imagine how the query works in my head

First, I really appreciate all your help so far. I may be over-complicating this for my purposes. I've decided not to try and do this as part of this query. When I could not get your SQL statement to work, I tried disecting it to understand the structure, etc. Admittedly, I'm over my head. Instead, I want to just stick with the table (KRTMSTR) I'm using for my source data. I think part of the problem I'm having is trying to manipulate aggregate data.

So, if I could please indulge your assistance for the last time: This table has a contract obligation field (OBL) of widely differing dollar amounts. I need to drop all decimals (cents) and abbreviate to $K, $M, and in a few cases $B. I want the dollar amounts to appear as follows with no cents:

- Less than $50,000: no change
- Between $50,000 and $499,000: $.050K to $499K
- Between $500,000 and $499,000,000: $.500M to $499M
- Greater than $500,000,000: $.500B

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back