Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change cpu without reinstall/format windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriakos70

Programmer
Jul 24, 2008
GR
Hello,
I have a windows xp sp3 system with a proccessor a desktop, I want to upgrade my proccessor without to have to format windows, is there any possible way to do that?

Thank you
Kyriakos

If you are keeping the same motherboard, etc, only upgrading the CPU, then yes this is possible. However, on occasion it'll still cause problems. So, just back your data up, and go with it.

If you're talking about all new hardware, then possible, but normally very much so a headache. There are tools out there that supposedly make the task easier, but I've not tried them for that purpose.

Replacing just the Processor should be no problem. Windows will barely notice the change.

Changing anything else may cause some driver issues, but unless you are totally revamping the PC (new MB, new processor, new RAM, new HD, new add-on cards etc...), you should not have to re-install windows.

A Repair-Install should take care of most problems that may arise from the processor swap while preserving data, and installed applications.

But it should not be necessary if its just the CPU being changed.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yeah, that's why I was saying "should" be fine. I've personally known about a CPU upgrade - same everything else - that caused the system to give blue screens. That's why it's best to back up everything JUST IN CASE. [wink]

There is a certain number of changes (long story) that will trigger Windows to be re-activated, but that's not a big deal if you're legit.

Changing out your CPU with a higher model is acceptable if the motherboard allows the new CPU based on requirements. Usually you shouldn't have to reload the OS. You may need to check motherboard specs to determine if any software has to be downloaded prior to the new CPU being installed. Usually no software is required, but certain motherboards have patches for different hardware on the board. But backing up you data is a precaution that should be taken.

As all have mentioned, do back up all critical files. Unless you do numerous upgrades (MOBO, CPU, HD, etc.) all at the same time, there should be no need to format & reinstall Windows. Worst case, you'll be asked to reactivate/validate your XP OS. No problem if it's legit.

Bob

What's the gain of this upgrade? Just a mere CPU upgrade, say from 2.4 to 2.93 GHz, can't be worth all this hassle and the cash involved, unless the CPU comes for free...?
If you would go from single-core to quad-core, now then we're talking. But still, the price should be right.

TonHu,

Really, whether it's worth it or not is truly up to the individual and their circumstances. It's not really anyone else's call.

A CPU upgrade should just be plug and play as long as the CPU is supported on the board. Whether it's worth it or not is really only determined by the cost of the processor.

In a lot of cases, it might be negligible improvement. I went from a 2.5 Celeron to a 2.66 Pentium IV and it wasn't that much of an improvement.

I went from a 2.5 Celeron to a 2.66 Pentium IV and it wasn't that much of an improvement.

Yeah, I would have expected to notice SOME improvement on one like that, given the caching differences. I know that with some systems I used (way back) at the P3 level, the Celeron-based machines would freeze-up in a heart beat if I did anything much in Excel, whereas the P3 machines would just keepoing... But it does seem that the lower-end CPUs both from AMD and Intel have gotten much better over the past handful of years, to where for most purposes you'd not see a difference from one to the other, unless you were doing a lot of a CPU intensive task, such as some encoding or rendering.

many of the Intel Celerons (P4) where just scaled down P IVs, meaning they had less MHZ and/or a smaller FSB, and L1/L2 cache, in all other areas they where the same, not like there previous line the P IIIs where the Celeron was not a scaled down version of the P III line but rather a crippled version (had less instruction sets if I remember correctly)...

in Gooms case, if he had installed a Celeron with the FSB of 533 MHZ and upgraded it with a Pentium IV with a FSB also of 533 MHZ, then yes I too would believe that there would be hardly any improvement... where as if he had switched it with a FSB of 800 MHZ version, then I would expect to see an improvement...

just my 2 cents worth...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

That sounds correct on my upgrade 533 > 533. The processor was FREE so it was a no brainer and nothing to do except pop it in.

There was SOME improvement but not mind-shattering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back