Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change browsetime for cloneid's 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedyx

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
CH
Hi
Wie clone our backups with a simple crontjob

mminfo -s [SRV-NAME] -q "level=full,!incomplete,copies=1,group=ABC,savetime >= one week ago" -r"ssid" > to_clone.txt

after this
we start nsrclone

nsrclone -s [SRV-NAME] -b "POOLNAME" -S -f "x:\to_clone.txt"

Now i have the problem, that the clones have identical browse/retention times. i want to change the browse and retention time on the clones only after my scripts

have some suggestions?

tnkx in advance speedyx

This of course is fully intended. I do not know whether it is even possible to use different browse times for the save set instances. However, setting a different retention date is possible:

- If you have NW 7.3.x then you may set a policy for a pool.

- Since NW 6.x you can use nsrmm to set the browse and/or the retention date for each save set individually.

hi 605
thank you, for your fast answer!
i forgot to say, we operate on 7.2.x under windows srv 2003 lattest pk

the command nsrmm i know... but, what i dont now is:

how use nsrmm in my script after my "automated" cloning...
==> look above
mminfo ...
nsrclone ...

nsrmm [bla bla bla] AND how i use my generated "to_clone.txt" for automated modified ret/browstime????

kind regards

As you specify nsrmm should be run at the very end. It should state something like:

nsrmm -S ssid/cloneid -e new_retention_date

So you must rerun mminfo to query the cloneid as well. Unfortunately you cannot provide an input file to nsrmmd. Probably it's easier to update to NW 7.3.

hi 605
thank you... sad news, but now i now how :)

merry xmas & happy new year!

speedyx

Like 605 said, this is sadly not possible in pre 7.3 releases. If you change one copy, the other will change as well.
But i just wanted to post a simple routine for running nsrmm on multiple save set. As stated before, nsrmm does
not support the use of an input file, so let´s do it like this instead,. The below will change retention of all savesets found with the mminfo query, and set it to december 19, 2006.

On Unix:
nsrmm -e 12/19/06 -S `mminfo -avr ssid -q "level=full,!incomplete,copies=2,group=ABC,savetime >= one week ago"`

On Windows:
1) mminfo -avr ssid -q "level=full,!incomplete,copies=2,group=ABC,savetime >= one week ago" > mminfo.tmp
2) for /f %i in (mminfo.tmp) do nsrmm -e 12/19/06 -S %i

I set the copies to 2, so this should be run after the clone has finished. This should work fine in all 7.x relases.

Cheers!
Maverick

Does any one know that, is there a maximum hop limit in the networker between the client and the server?

I am unable to backup a client across 6 hops between networker and the cient though I am able to ping the client from server and viz.

Thanks in Advance.

@NWNinja
thnx verry much for your help! After i know how... it's so simple (but effective [2thumbsup]).

one question again about setting higher the Br/Re-Times:
ist ist also possible to take "variables" like "20 years" or so?

kind regards speedyx

speedyx: Sure, that is possible. Here´s a before and after test i just did. If you look at the ssretent, i just increased it by 20 years =)

---
# mminfo -avr ssid,ssretent -q client=calvin
ssid retent
3967725411 12/20/06

# nsrmm -e 20-years -S `mminfo -avr ssid -q client=calvin`

# mminfo -avr ssid,ssretent -q client=calvin
ssid retent
3967725411 12/20/26
----

vksm: Im not aware of any such limit, so i would guess your problem is located somewhere else. Since the client need to make so many jumps, i would suspect that the name resolution fails somehere along the line. Verify that the backupserver can reverse lookup the client and vice versa. Make sure they can communicate using both short and FQDN names.

Regards
Maverick

To speedyx ...

No, you can not use a relative period when you change the browse or retention date - it must be a date. Periods are only available for browse and retention policies.

This is logical. If periods would not be an option for the client setup, means if you could only use (absolute) dates here as well, you would have to adjust them every day. However, when NW adds the save set entry in the media index, it converts the relative policy into an absolute date.

@NWNinja

just great!

tnkx to all repliers!

Speedyx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back