Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Change All Field names at one time 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwash

Technical User
May 27, 2002
US
I want to re-use a db, (and same queries, reports, relationships, etc.), used for a previous project but field names need to be slightly changed.

Is it possible to change field names in all tables, forms, queries, etc., in a db at one time? Also, if it is possible to change field names at one time, will this "change all" procedure also change the names of the table and/or forms related to command buttons, etc. to the new field names?

TIA

Any other way do accomplish my desire via Access? Even though the link is probably an answer to my question, I was hoping for a way to do it without resorting to a paid link.

I think they offer a 30 day free trial, so this may work for your need. Otherwise, you would need to use vba and I haven't done that for code to rename fields in tables, queries, etc. I have done simple find and replace on queries by going to SQL view and copying it into a text editor and using the text editor's find and replace command. However, this won't change the names of the fields in the actual source table.

As sxschech mentions, you can do a good deal with vba, however, you will need to write code for everything. You may find that Track name autocrrect can help a little, but it not well regarded.

If the back end (tables, queries, etc) all work as you want them to, why change anything??? Just change the labels on the forms and reports to show what the "names" should be. Nothing to change, no worries...

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
VB/Access Programmer

It's looking like Access 2000 doesn't have a feature do to what I'm needing. So, I will go ahead an try the link you provided.

Thanks for the replies!

Well, there is the Track Name Autocorrect in the General tab of the Options dialog.

Most of us turn it off because it was a "mis"feature that had a lot of bugs and tended to auto-corrupt the database.

However, maybe you can turn it on long enough to make your changes, then shut it off and hope it didn't do any damage.

hum...i didn't even think to consider mstrmage1768's suggestion!!! (that's b/c dbs are not my profession, only a small hobby of mine).

i actually think mstrmagel768's suggestion will work!!

Thanks mstrmagel768!

AND....thank you to everyone else who took time to offer suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back