Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Challenging Home network - Small Business Server and VPN/ROuter

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcoryan

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
GB
I am setting up a small home netowrk based on MS Small Business Server and a number of XP Pro clients. We have a broadband ADSL connection with Static IP on a Draytek Vigor 2660 Router/ADSL MODEM/FIREWALL. The router has DHCP capabilities.

The Challenge: I want to run a simple client server environment , so that I can host a Content Management System. Contributors would dial in via a VPN.

I have configured the router and can connect the server to get Internet access, only if the server is assigned a Dynamic IP address from the router. I wanted to have the server on a Private static IP, and all clients running DHCP. AT present the clients cannot connect to the server, but are getting a dynamic IP address form the router!

Ideal world would be Static Public IP on Router. Static Private IP on server and DHCP on clients. However if I allocate static Private IP to the server it can no longer "See" the server (although Ping works!)

What am I doing wrong!

Disable the DHCP on the router.

Enable DNCP on the server. Define a scope. Exclude the address of the server and the router form the scope. It sounds to me like you have duplicate IPs. I am guessing 192.168.0.1 is being assigned to both the router and the Server, or something along these lines.

If this doesn't help give me some more info and I'll see what I can come up with.

When you have the server running off DHCP from the router, go to command line and run IPCONFIG /ALL. Copy these settings as you static info except DNS, note the DNS for later. You will want to set up DNS on the server. Create a new Forward Lookup and follow the defaults. Once created, delete the . Zone and refresh the snap-in. Right-click the servername and choose properties-> Fowarders tab. Enable the forwarders and enter the DNS from the IPCONFIG /ALL. Then turn off DHCP on the router and set up your internal scope....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

THanks for the tips. Since last post have played around with some of the settings on the router and now have following:

router: Priavte IP of 192.168.1.1 and WAN Public IP address as given by ISP (Also put in 1st and 2ns DNS from them).

Server : PRivate IP of 192.168.1.5

Server now able to access web through routerwith this config. However Cliet (currently 192.168.1.11 dynamically assigned by Router) still cannot see Server ( though as ping works this suggests some issue with DNS).

DNS on server setup to 192.168.1.5

Interestingly DHCP is not enable on server nor an I seem to restart it

The reason you cannot restart DHCP on the server is because it is running on the rouer. I would run DHCP from the server and not the router. I am guessing that you router is assigning clients with DNS server of 192.168.1.1 (router) and not 192.168.1.5 (Server). It is essensial that cleints use a Windows 2K server running DSN for DNS resolution.

Configure DHCP options as follows:

*Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS server: 192.168.1.5

*This will direct clients directly to the DSL router for internet access. I assume you would want to do this and not use the server as a proxy or router.

Hope this helps.

If only you know how to combine Tom and Matt suggestion then you're done.

1. Disable DHCP on the router.
2. follow Matt suggestion and on win2k dns, put the ISP DNS ip to forwarders TAB.
3. Install DHCP, create a scope 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254, router ip is 192.168.1.1,
DNS ip 192.168.1.5.
4. Don't forget to authorize your DHCP.

Lastly, before playing around read below link first.

MAny thanks - WIll have a look at all of this after lunch and hopefully all will be well, If not I may post a further cry for help this evening!

i HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DONE THE FOLLOWING:

1. Disabled DHCP on the router.
2. Created a new DNS on the server + put the WAN IP DNS entries (from ISP) in the forwarders tab
3. Installed DHCP and created a scope of private ips of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.255, with Routerof 192.168.1.1 ans Server dns of 192.169.1.5
4. DHCP is authorised and running.

However when trying to now connect the client, it still will not see the domain. I have tried pinging 192.168.1.5 and also pinging the daomian M2Server. Both work fine.

What have I missed?

sORRY - FORGOT THE ERRO MESSAGE:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.M2SERVER-LONDON

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

M2SERVER-LONDON
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

I'll be honest in that I do not know a direct resolution to that particular error. I would delete the server from DNS and reinstate it. That way it should recreate all the entries.

Thanks so much.
Network now running smoothly ....with the exception of ie on the client that has some connection issues due to cookies/privileges etc!

Config of DNS is the issue for the above error. If you integrate this to AD would have corrected the problem but never mind, the wizard will recommend it if you re-install and you don't have to re-enter the records because it'll do dynamic updates. Good luck for your cookies/privileges issues:).

Hello, we have an issue here where we are trying to detect who's logging into machines using the local administrators
account.

The problem is trying to figure out where they are physically, so far we've been testing a batch file in a mixed environment e.g Novell, Win2k.

We created a variable for the NWusername, but I don't recall the exact username format for NT anf 2000.

Isn't it simply %username% ?

Thanks for any assistance in this matter.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back