Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Challenging Groupwise Situation....

Status
Not open for further replies.

warcleric

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2001
US
This is my situation:

We get emails of whale sightings from the Coast Guard in order to protect the whales from getting struck by a boat. These emails are sent to text pagers of all our personnel so they can know immediately where to go and where not to go.

The email comes in with the subject line being the sighting #, in the body of the email is the coordinates. Since I work for a state agency, we do not need the sightings for anything outside our borders.

I need to be able to filter out only a range of numeric coordinates that are in the body of the email to forward to our personnel.

In other words I want to forward only mails containing lattitude numbers between xxxx and yyyy.......what is the easiest/best way to accomplish this?

I don't think there's any way to accomplish this using only GroupWise.

I think you'll have to intercept these messages before they hit your GroupWise server and filter/redirect with a custom program or third party software (don't know what that would be). Or auto-forward to a POP3/SMTP server and try to capture the messages on that side of life - again redirecting with a custom program or third party software.
I'm limited in my experience with something like this outside GW - maybe some smarter advice will come from others.

dennis

Have you used rules in GroupWise? It has some decent pattern matching tools. You can have it search the subject or the message and have it only run the rule on messages from specific email addresses.

Novell has some tips on setting up rules on it's "Cool Solutions" for GroupWise site:
The hard part will be setting up the conditions. You should be able to use the filter option to test before you implement the rule.

I'd looked at Rules before responding to warcleric's original post and while you can access the message "field" in setting up a rule, I saw the opportunity only to choose a condition where Message field "contains" or "does not contain", so I'm not sure how you'd set up a test for containing a range. If you figure out how to do this, please post the solution as I could use the concept myself. I'm running GW 6.0, so maybe the newer versions have more robust conditions available in setting up rules?

dennis

Yeah, the problem with rules is that unless there are some undocumented wildcards that can be used, I would need roughly 1100 rules to accomplish what I want to do.

1100 rules = job security and sleepless nights because you know you'll miss at least one and somebody's gonna hit a whale and blame you. Then there's the civil suit by the whale's family naming you as the liable individual. :)

Could you please post a sample email? I have another idea but I'm not sure if it is worth posting yet. :)

[mailto:edit@edit.mil]
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 3:01 PM
To: edit@edit.com
Subject: NRW 06036

NRW06036, 27DEC05, 1448(L), 3019N 08120W, 1ADULTS 1CALF, NONE, EWS-111

That is a real email from the source, with the addresses edited. I dont know for sure if that specific email falls inside or outside our area, but the 3019N number is the one that tells us that.

I think our area is something like 3400N through 3025N anything higher or lower than that range will need to be killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back