Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Challenge of fluidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrymossman

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
Our agency web sites are going from tables to css. [bigsmile] The draft template allows resizing between 590 and 1200 pixels. There will be a standard header, footer and left navigation panel.

How do you deal with that much fluidity? Any good examples?

Our current pages look terrible stretched out to 1200 pixels. The usability completely disappears.

I'm thinking 4 columns: fixed, fluid, fluid, fixed.

Harry

CliveC, [small](long time no see)[/small]

Are your images supposed to hang out of the bottom of the white box? I didn't look at the page in IE, but in firefox your images are not contained w/in the white box. The white box only extends down as far as the text, which is commonly caused by having floating items inside a block level container [small](likely the images, I didn't look at the code)[/small]. As much as I'm not a fan of empty markup, you may want to consider putting this div into your page at the bottom of the white container:
Code:
<div style="clear:left"></div>
or you can float the white container which will cause it to stretch and wrap around the floated child elements, but then you'll lose your center positioning.

-kaht

Looking for a puppy? [small](Silky Terriers are hypoallergenic dogs that make great indoor pets due to their lack of shedding and small size)[/small]

onpnt and Foamcow, you can just ask kaht, since he has to maintain that nightmare of an application. (not his fault it's a nightmare)

[neutral]

<.

The box stretches around the images now.

-kaht

Looking for a puppy? [small](Silky Terriers are hypoallergenic dogs that make great indoor pets due to their lack of shedding and small size)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back