Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Challenge: Ftp download displays new file, but content is old file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sina

Technical User
Jan 2, 2001
CA
I need your help people.

ftp server is serving old files, even though the new version of the file has been placed there.

here is what happens.

A new file (file_10) will be uploaded to the server.
users can download the file ( no problems)
the next day, the CONTENT of the file_10 is updated by the web developer and placed (saved) in the same location.

now the same user who accessed the file yesterday, will try to download the file and save it locally. After saving, when he opens the file, the file content is the content of the OLD File before upadate.

I have removed the cashe files from his machine.
restarted the web server.
deleted all the temp files in his machine.
No, he continues to see the new time stamp on the file on the ftp server, but when he saves the file and then opens it, the re is the old content again.

I have no idea, where this is coming from.

For now I have to keep renaming the files, and that seems to work.

any idea?

The user's PC may be caching the old pages and not checking for a newer version. Check the browser settings.

I have cleared the cache on the local pc, deleted the temp internet files and all.

but still the same old content.

If a user has not downloaded the file and its their first time to download the file, they get the new content (correct one), but that is not the same case with users who has downloaded the page previously.

any help would be appriciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back