Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CGI and Perl setup errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmafree

Programmer
May 10, 2001
GB
Hey,

I'm trying to run CGI programs under Win98 using PWS
and get the following error message:
Code:
HTTP Error 403
403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden

This error can be caused if you try to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

Please contact the Web server's administrator if the problem persists.

I've followed these instructions and many like them and still no success!

I've set up the MIME types in the registry (see instructions in above link) but when I go to
Windows Explorer, click on view, options, file types
I should get this instruction:
"MIME types are set up for .cgi and .pl (to check / remove MIME types, start Windows Explorer, click on view, options, file types)." but I dont see any of these types!

Thank you for any help.

I'm flying a bit blind (not working on a Win 98 right now) but I'll still put in my two cents . . .

You may have already done this, but I'm not sure from what's in your post.

The instructions in the link you included had you use FrontPage to set permissions on the cgi folder. Have you used Windows explorer to check the permission? Drill down to the folder your scripts are in and right click, select Properties, then Security (or something like that). You might see a dropdown box with Type of Access. (I'm looking at NT now). If so, you can select Special Directory Access and then set the permission to Execute for the user Everyone.

The best advice is probably to ditch 98 and run Apache on a Linux box, but I know that might not be an option for you.

Best of luck,

--Jeff

Forget PWS. Go to and download the appropriate Win98 msi and install it. Then, check out the documentation that came with it and there is a section in their faqs about setting up CGI. It has been a while since I did it, but I seem to remember that it took longer to download than it did to get it running. The installer works as it should. While Apache.org says that they don't recommend using apache on win9* boxes for public web service, it will give you a solid platform to learn and develop on. And, once done, you have the web's most popular web server to play with. And, if you are using Perl, the mod_perl apache module will make the thing very fast.

HTH If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs,
and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back