Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CFMAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerAdi

Programmer
Aug 31, 2005
AU
Hi all,

Ok, I need your wisdom on a technical issue with cfmail. And as usually, it's urgent as well! ;)

I am currently setting up a site for a gallery. They want to send media releases via email from their CMS. It's all set up and I used cfmail before.

Now, when I send the email via their smtp and email, nothing arrives. I assume the problem lies with email relay settings on the cf server and/or smtp server. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the server myself (hosted externally).
So, I tried to test it over my own smtp and email address (but triggered fromt the gallery's domain). There are three test accounts, but only the one with my own email domain arrives. This smtp server and the email address work perfectly well on emailers that I trigger from my own website. My question: is it possible that my smtp server or/and cf server deny the mail relay, because it is triggered from a third domain (the gallery's)?
If that is so, then all is well and I only need to call the provider to change the settings. If not, I'm in trouble. ;)

Thanks for your help.
Adrian

Hi DerAdi,

I think this is indeed a mail server setting issue, if you use the right smtp settings in the cfmail... I think you just have to ask the provider to give the right permissions and settings.

I also had this problem with not retrieving email while the setting where all good, one time it was due to the settings in my own mail server (only specific ip's where allowed to send or retrieve) and one time it was due to the settings in the coldfusion admin at my provider.

Hope i helped you out here

Hi Marcovdo,

Thanks for your answer.

The project has been progressing is drawing to an end now. And yes, I had to make the provider acknowledge that it was their problem. Like you say, I had to replace the mail server address (domain) with a particular IP address, now it works. They are still investigating into why that is so.

Thanks for your help.
Adrian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back