Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CFMAIL question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

calista

Programmer
Jan 24, 2001
US
I am trying to set up my discussion board to automatically email a notice to the members of a list that a new message has been posted, much as this forum does.

I can send messages using typical email address form (e.g. JDoe@company.com), and when the message arrives, the "To" and "From" appear in that form. What I would like to do is have "To" and "From" show up as regular names (e.g. "John Doe") as our regular company email does. How do I accomplish this? BTW, I searched this forum and found 1 relevant thread, but I didn't really understand the answer. Thanks for any help! Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

Calista try this in the to field:

to=&quot;Jane Doe <jane.doe@company.com>&quot;

Thanks! That did the job! When you open the message, it shows both the name and the email address on &quot;From&quot;, but that's OK. Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

This is usually done like this:

<CFMAIL From=&quot;ME <myaddress@here.com>&quot;
To = &quot;You <youraddress@there.com>&quot;
Subject = &quot;HI&quot;>

It depends on your mail server though not all of them can handle it. I think Cfserver 4.5 and up can do it.

tlhawkins,
FYI, you can do this in CF 4.0 as well.

scoop7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back