Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CFFTP filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxy46

Technical User
May 19, 2005
US
I am interested in building a simple ftp script that will automatically ftp to a certain server, and then possibly with a click of a button download certain files. I want it to just grab *.txt files on the server and then put them somewhere on my harddrive. I figured that this could be done using the cfftp tag but I never really used it before so wasnt sure ways about it. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

are you running CF on your computer you want the files on?

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

I am running it on my computer, but I won't be the primary user of this script. I envision that other people will use it on their computers that will not have cold fusion on their pc's. Maybe a window pops up where they can set what directory they want to download their files to on their harddrive? If cold fusion needs to be on their computers, I'm sure then we could come to some sort of process where they only use certain computers with cold fusion installed. The ideal situtation though would be that they would not need any special software installed on their pc.

Thanks for your help!

the only way to "automatically" download anything to a users computer is if you had CF running on it.

if the user can initiate the file download you can look into using cffile to list the files and providing links to downloading the files. if the fiels are on your web server you don't need to use cfftp

webserver [with files] >>> cffile to list files for download >>> user selects file by clicking hyper link on the company website/intranet site.

if your files are not on the web server

files on server file share server [with ftp running] >>> cfftp files to web server temp directory >>> follow steps above.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

hmm...ok....i'll have to rethink it all over and see what i can come up with.

In my mind, I was thinkig that the user goes to a URL that is on our server. They click a link or somethign on that page that ftps into another server not associated with ours but we have access to it. Then it would "grab" all the *.txt files on the server or in a certain directory (not sure exactly yet) and then give the user an option of where to save those files on their harddrive.

thanks for the assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back