Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF8: Standard v. Enterprise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyj2

Programmer
Jun 7, 2007
US
Hi,

Quick question. I'm about to purchase CF8 for my company. I have about 8 domains that I'm going to host on (1) web server. There's my main website that's something like: and then (7) subdomain sites like: thru
Here's my question. I know I can accomplish the domain/sub-domains by using virtual domains, but will CF8 Standard edition support it?

I've been on Adobe's site and I got worried when I saw under CF8 Standard that it is "Used for delivering a single website or application on a single server". I actually have more than one website.

Adobe's explanation for CF8 Enterprise is that its "Used for delivering multiple websites and applications on one or more servers".

My company doesn't need that quite yet, so I thought we could use the Standard version for now and worry about upgrading to the Enterprise edition later.

Am I correct?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

mickeyj2

You can run many many many applications on standard. Enterprise really comes in to play when you need server clustering running for power and redundancy.

We run over 100 commercial web sites for our clients on a single Standard Edition CFMX7 with NO problems, even at peak times.

Kevin

He's right. I used to work at a hosting company that had over 100 sites running on CF Standard.

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Hi imstillatwork and Ecar,

Thanks! That feedback helps alot. I was talking with a salesperson last week and he said the main disadvantage to running your applications concurrently on Standard is if one of your domains goes down, then so do the other ones.

But the way I see it is I'm going with a well-respected managed hosting company who guarantees 100% uptime, so if one of my domains does go down, then they'll revert to backups, etc. to get us back up and running.

I think I'm going to stick with Standard for now until I see our company out-growing it. But could you share your thoughts on one domain bringing down all of the others?

Thanks!
mickeyj2

CF Standard runs ONE copy of the ColdFusion Server application. That one single application will run multiple web sites. So if the ColdFusion Server application crashes, all the web sites it is running are down.

With enterprise, you have the ability to launch multiple instances of the application, so that if one fails the others are still alive.

Kevin

I think what your salesperson was referring to was the use of subdomain1.mycompany.com, etc. By "domain going down", he most likely meant that if your DNS record screws up for mycompany.com, then it shuts down all of your websites, whereas if they each had their own name it would only shut down one site.

This really has nothing to do with CF or what version you're running.

Hope This Helps!

ECAR
ECAR Technologies

"My work is a game, a very serious game." - M.C. Escher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back