Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF vs. Frontpage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

programmher

Programmer
May 25, 2000
US
One of my clients might transfer their host to one whose servers support FrontPage and not CF. I am concerned about security. What arguments can I offer in favor of CF over FrontPage? Or, are my concerns unfounded?

If they currently support CF on the site, then all .cfm pages will stip working. This will cause need for a complete site rehaul. Possibly even reprogramming in .asp.

Having to recreate the wheel seems as a bad choice for your client.

What is their main reason for wanting to move? DeZiner
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember that amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic

This host - AvidHost - offers a shopping cart that they can pay for on a monthly basis. This is a very small, home-based business. Having to pay around $200+ up front for a shopping cart/SSL is too much for them right now. AvidHost offers a $14.95 monthly fee. This is a lot more acceptable to my client.

Is the $200 a monthly rate? If it is than that is exorbitant. Search for another CF host. CFHosting with SSL should not be more than $35 or so a month. If it is a one-time fee, than $200 is perfectly reasonable.

When working with small clients, I tell them to avoid using internet merchant accounts. They should use SSL when the web visitor delivers information, but after that they should run the card like a regular phone card. This avoids the heavy service fees that internet merchant accounts charge. They can always sign up for an internet merchant account once their traffic/business increases to the level to make those internet merchant account feasible.

Hope this helps.

programmher,

My apologies if this remark does not sound appropriate, but, if $200 is an upfront cost than it is not that bad..however shopping carts come in different shapes and sizes...be sure to have them check out the features for this $14.95 offer. If it is difficult for customers to shop than the primary objective of this venture is defeated.

Have you checked the developer area at macromedia for optons - am sure you would find a perfectly usable free version there. Actually Ben Forta delivers code for one in his book also!

Actually just saw a free one added as we speak!
CF_Shop_Kart_Lite V2.0

In my opinion, dropping CF to go with ASP is almost unnecessary...

Many thanks to everyone who chimed in and responded to my inquiry. From the looks of things, my client is staying with my CF code.

Thanks again! I appreciate the insight and the suggestions.

Try crystaltech.com .. they have reasonable pricing for a shopping cart.

If they need cheap payment processing, try 2checkout.com
its a onetime fee.. higher % they take on the cut, BUT .. i did the math and until you do about $3,000 / mo in transactions it comes out cheaper than leasing a merch account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back