Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF Query Repeating Content 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

monoone

Programmer
May 24, 2002
US
Hi,

I have 4 Tables in my Databse:

Product
Loaner

I am trying to filter out Loaners (transactions)
by Product.

I have written this SQL CF QUERY:

---------
<CFQUERY NAME=&quot;getFiles&quot; DATASOURCE=&quot;Loaner&quot; DBTYPE=&quot;ODBC&quot;>
SELECT InputDate, QtyOnHand, LocationName, LocationContact, ManName
FROM Loaner, Manager, Location
Where Loaner.ProdID = #FORM.ProdID#
ORDER BY InputDate
</CFQUERY>
---------

I do not get an error on my page but the cfoutput is repeating the info.
----------
How can I fix this?

Please help,

Thanks,

Monoone

The problem is that you're getting what's called a &quot;Cartesian Product&quot; or a &quot;Cross Join&quot;, because you haven't specified the criteria upon which these tables should be joined.

I can't tell which columns belong to which tables. I suggest you re-post, listing each table and its columns, and I will show you the correct syntax for your join.

I have 4 Tables in my Databse:

Product:
ProdID
ProdNo
ProdDesc
UnitCost

LocationNumber
LocationName
LocationContact

Manager:
ManID
ManName
ManRegion

Loaner
LoanID
ManID
LocationID
ProdID
OtyOnHand
DateInput

I am trying to filter out Loaners (transactions)
by Product.

I have written this SQL CF QUERY:

---------
<CFQUERY NAME=&quot;getFiles&quot; DATASOURCE=&quot;Loaner&quot; DBTYPE=&quot;ODBC&quot;>
ORDER BY InputDate
</CFQUERY>

Here is the CFOUTPUT:

----------------
<cftable query=&quot;getFiles&quot; colspacing=&quot;7&quot; colheaders=&quot;YES&quot; htmltable=&quot;Yes&quot;>
<cfcol width=&quot;13&quot; header=&quot;<b>Date</b>&quot; align=&quot;LEFT&quot; TEXT=&quot;#InputDate#&quot;>
<cfcol width=&quot;30&quot; header=&quot;<b>Manager</b>&quot; align=&quot;LEFT&quot; TEXT=&quot;#ManName#&quot;>
<cfcol width=&quot;5&quot; header=&quot;<b>QTY</b>&quot; align=&quot;LEFT&quot; TEXT=&quot;#QtyOnHand#&quot;>
<cfcol width=&quot;30&quot; header=&quot;<b>Location</b>&quot; align=&quot;LEFT&quot; TEXT=&quot;#LocationName#&quot;>
<cfcol width=&quot;30&quot; header=&quot;<b>Contact.</b>&quot; align=&quot;LEFT&quot; TEXT=&quot;#LocationContact#&quot;>
</CFTABLE>

Here's the SQL Query:
Code:
SELECT
   L.InputDate, 
   L.QtyOnHand, 
   N.LocationName, 
   N.LocationContact, 
   M.ManName
FROM
   Loaner AS L,
   INNER JOIN Location AS N ON L.LocationID = N.LocationID,
   INNER JOIN Manager AS M ON L.ManID = M.ManID
WHERE
   L.ProdID = '#FORM.ProdID#'
ORDER BY
   L.DateInput
Besides cleaning up the formatting a little, the important change that I made was in the FROM clause. You have to specify which columns &quot;match&quot; between the tables. There are other types of joins that you could read up on, the most common of which (besides the INNER JOIN) is an OUTER JOIN. RIGHT OUTER JOIN (or simply RIGHT JOIN) and LEFT OUTER JOIN (or simply LEFT JOIN) are types of outer joins.

Hello;

I am now getting an error:
-----------
Error Diagnostic Information
ODBC Error Code = 37000 (Syntax error or access violation)

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error in FROM clause.

SQL = &quot;SELECT L.InputDate, L.QtyOnHand, N.LocationName, N.LocationContact, M.ManName FROM Loaner AS L, INNER JOIN Location AS N ON L.LocationID = N.LocationID, INNER JOIN Manager AS M ON L.ManID = M.ManID WHERE L.ProdID = '1' ORDER BY L.DateInput&quot;

Data Source = &quot;LOANER&quot;

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (1:1) to (1:59) in the template file D:\Inetpub\
---------------

What did I miss?

Woops, I got a little overzealous with my commas. Sorry about that!

The proper syntax for the FROM statement is as follows (note no commas):
Code:
FROM
   Loaner AS L
   INNER JOIN Location AS N ON L.LocationID = N.LocationID
   INNER JOIN Manager AS M ON L.ManID = M.ManID
How embarassing.

another error:

Sorry to be such a pain.

------------

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'L.LocationID = N.LocationID INNER JOIN Manager AS M ON L.ManID = M.ManID'.

SQL = &quot;SELECT L.InputDate, L.QtyOnHand, N.LocationName, N.LocationContact, M.ManName FROM Loaner AS L INNER JOIN Location AS N ON L.LocationID = N.LocationID INNER JOIN Manager AS M ON L.ManID = M.ManID WHERE L.ProdID = '1' ORDER BY L.DateInput&quot;

----------------------

Somebody shoot me, I'm clearly having serious problems of the &quot;Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend&quot; variety. If anyone wants to help me out, go right ahead.

I don't really work much with Access -- more with SQL Server. Maybe whatever version of Access you are using doesn't support the ANSI JOIN syntax... in which case, you'd be looking to do something more like this:
Code:
SELECT
   Loaner.InputDate, 
   Loaner.QtyOnHand, 
   Location.LocationName, 
   Location.LocationContact, 
   Manager.ManName
FROM
   Loaner,
   Location,
   Manager
WHERE
   Loaner.LocationID = Location.LocationID
   AND Loaner.ManID = Manager.ManID
   AND Loaner.ProdID = '#FORM.ProdID#'
ORDER BY
   Loaner.DateInput
The difference here is that you're specifying which columns match in the WHERE clause instead of in the FROM clause. If you have the choice, I recommend always using the ANSI syntax, but with using Access you might not have that luxury.

Boy this is whacky;

Another error:

----------
ODBC Error Code = 07001 (Wrong number of parameters)

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 1.

Hint: The cause of this error is usually that your query contains a reference to a field which does not exist. You should verify that the fields included in your query exist and that you have specified their names correctly.

SQL = &quot;SELECT Loaner.InputDate, Loaner.QtyOnHand, Location.LocationName, Location.LocationContact, Manager.ManName FROM Loaner, Location, Manager WHERE Loaner.LocationID = Location.LocationID AND Loaner.ManID = Manager.ManID AND Loaner.ProdID = 1 ORDER BY Loaner.DateInput&quot;

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (1:1) to (1:59) in the template file D:\Inetpub\
--------------------

Here, try this:

AND Product.ProdID = #Form.ProdID#
ORDER BY InputDate
</CFQUERY>

Calista :-X
Jedi Knight,
Champion of the Force

This is soooo Over my head.

Still getting an error:
-----------------------

Hint: The cause of this error is usually that your query contains a reference to a field which does not exist. You should verify that the fields included in your query exist and that you have specified their names correctly.

SQL = &quot;SELECT InputDate, QtyOnHand, LocationName, LocationContact, ManName FROM Loaner, Manager, Location Where Loaner.ProdID = 1 AND Product.ProdID = 1 ORDER BY InputDate&quot;

----------------------
Eric

OK, I bit the bullet and got into Access to see what it writes when you use the Design View to build a query. It's wacky, so get ready:
Code:
SELECT
   Loaner.InputDate, 
   Loaner.QtyOnHand, 
   Location.LocationName, 
   Manager.ManName
FROM
   Location INNER JOIN (Manager INNER JOIN Loaner ON Loaner.ManID = Manager.ManID) ON Loaner.LocationID = Location.LocationID
WHERE
   (((Loaner.ProdID) = '#FORM.ProdID#')))
ORDER BY
   Loaner.DateInput
It makes a twisted, perverse sort of sense. We're back to joining in the FROM clause, but with tons of extra parentheses and a very convoluted way of doing the join. Looks like a train wreck to me, but JET-SQL is sometimes a very strange beast.

It's not digging that either.

-----------------

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Extra ) in query expression '(((Loaner.ProdID) = 1)))'.

SQL = &quot;SELECT Loaner.InputDate, Loaner.QtyOnHand, Location.LocationName, Location.LocationContact, Manager.ManName FROM Location INNER JOIN (Manager INNER JOIN Loaner ON Loaner.ManID = Manager.ManID) ON Loaner.LocationID = Location.LocationID WHERE (((Loaner.ProdID) = 1))) ORDER BY Loaner.DateInput&quot;

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (1:1) to (1:59) in the template file D:\Inetpub\---------------

???????

Okay, I would try taking out all those crazy parentheses (in the WHERE clause only). I don't think you need any of them.

That didn't work:

Thanks for the effort though - Let me know if anybody has any other ideas.

-----------------
SELECT
Loaner.InputDate,
Loaner.QtyOnHand,
Location.LocationName,
Manager.ManName
FROM
Location INNER JOIN (Manager INNER JOIN Loaner ON Loaner.ManID = Manager.ManID) ON Loaner.LocationID = Location.LocationID
WHERE
Loaner.ProdID = #FORM.ProdID#
ORDER BY
Loaner.DateInput

</CFQUERY>
----------------
Error:
----------------

SQL = &quot;SELECT Loaner.InputDate, Loaner.QtyOnHand, Location.LocationName, Location.LocationContact, Manager.ManName FROM Location INNER JOIN (Manager INNER JOIN Loaner ON Loaner.ManID = Manager.ManID) ON Loaner.LocationID = Location.LocationID WHERE Loaner.ProdID = 1 ORDER BY Loaner.DateInput&quot;

I feel obliged to let you know, since I'm making so many mistakes here, that there's a forum dedicated just to Access/Jet-SQL queries:

Microsoft: Access Queries and JET SQL Forum
forum701

Hey there!

The problem is that you guys are fighting with Access syntax for the SQL.

You can make the joins with just AND's in the WHERE clause.

Try this:

Code:
	SELECT LN.InputDate, LN.QtyOnHand, LC.LocationName, LC.LocationContact, MN.ManName, PR.ProdNo
	FROM Loaner LN, Manager MN, Location LC, Product PR
	Where LN.ProdID = #FORM.ProdID# AND 
		MN.ManID = LN.ManID AND 
		LC.LocationID = LN.LocationID AND 
		PR.ProdID = LN.ProdID
	ORDER BY InputDate
</CFQUERY>

By the way I added the Product Number and Product table into the mix so you could print out the ProdNo.

Joe

Hey, just to throw this out there, but is the ProdID in the database a string or a number? If it is a string, make sure you put single quotes around it

Where LN.ProdID = '#FORM.ProdID#'
(I noticed it had it in the access query, but not in anyone elses examples)

Tim P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back