Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF Card Reader Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra8ball

Technical User
Nov 1, 2002
US
I am running XP PRO and have a PNY USB single slot CF card reader. Their site says XP will install. It looks to me like it is recognized and installed, but when I try to open pictures with a photo editing program it tells me nothing is there. I also get a message that says D:/directory not found (or very similar to this) Any ideas??

To make sure I understand you:
You're downloading the pictures to the hard drive and then trying to open them and the photo editing program doesn't see them in the directory?
They probably will not open on the card...and should be downloaded to a pre-named directory so you can organize/find them again.

What drive is d: in your system?
Probably the cd drive?

I'm assuming your error message is another way the system is telling you it cannot see them on the card reader...but cannot tell for sure because you're foggy on what it says.

Friendly reminder:
Relaying to someone a request for help without the verbatim error message (something about...similar to) will only delay things until they stumble on the real problem. Write down error messages (the whole thing) so you'll have it when you ask for help. It may seem insignificant to you, but people who do troubleshooting begin to recognize first-hand the messages and what they really mean.

Hi Gargouille

Thanx for responding......Lets see if I can be a liitle more clear. I am trying to open the pictures from the CF Card and Reader, my camera (HP 215) is not powered by the USB when downloading pictures to the hard drive etc. so I bought a card reader with the intent on saving some battery power.

Before I upgraded to XP when I went to open the pictures their was a folder on the CF Card that would have a description like this 2002_05_27 I am assuming that this is the date, and then I could see all of the pictures open them, work on them and then save them to the hard drive.
When I was finished with the pics on the card I just erased them and then my card was empty.

Now when I go to open pics I get this message.....Directory Is Not Valid D:\is not a valid directory. In My Computer under Devices with Removable Storage my CD Drive is M, Floopy is A, and Removable Disk (D:) (this is the exact description) is the CF Reader. I can't even take an MP3 and copy and paste it to the card while it is in the reader which I did in the past just to see if it worked.

I may have babbled on but I am trying to be as specific as possible this time. I know that there must be something small that I am missing..........

Thanx

Cobra8ball

Now, you're giving us something to go on. Didn't mean to "rag" on you...but as much information as you can provide will eventually help. Worry 'bout giving too little, Tom's server can handle a little extra banter.
Look in Device Manager and see what it says about the card.

Occurs to me, too, that you should look in XP's Event Viewer. Haven't gotten my XP machine up again, working on it right now, taking a break to see what's here and what others are fighting...for Event Viewer it's in Start/Programs/System Tools I think...if the OS has the focus just hit F1 and help will come up...type Event Viewer in the search and then hit display and it'll tell you how to open it...look to System and Application logs for clues.

Yours may be a USB issue...while you're in Device Manager and Event Viewer be watching for it. In device manager make sure there's no yellow exclamation marks.
I haven't organized this very well, but there are things here to try...and if you get stuck...let us know.
Post back with failure or success.

Hello,

Please give me the direction to get a driver so that Windows will recognize a CD-RW drive as a removable media like a ZIP disk drive. My purpose is to allow my BrightStor ARCServe Backup program to span a backup session over multiple CD-RW disks as spanning over multiple tapes.

Thanks.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back