Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cf busy/no answer on line vs number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinky101

Technical User
Aug 26, 2009
CA
I may have asked this question before, or else I magically figured it out all by my lonesome and it has simply broken and been forgotten.
I have one line that is considered a private line. Its in its own line pool. It has its own incoming dial number xxx-3673 and it has its own four digit extension 2254.
By extension, the call forward busy and no answer work fine.
But to call that incoming 3673 number you get a busy signal or endless ringing and no forwarding whatsoever.
Nothing in my bcm shows any of those incoming lines (3673, etc) so I have no idea what line is associated with which of our extensions.
Is there any way I can see that info in the bem? I think i've gone through every tab this morning and I am just not seeing anything, either in config or admin.
And how can I make that incoming 3673 .. get call forwarding properly?

If u want cfwd to vmail the target line needs to have if busy go to prime setup. Make ext 2254 is the prime for that set.

To find out what line is assigned go to line access under dn programming. Target lines on a BCM4.0 range from 241-492.

Hmm maybe I am not saying this the way I need to.
2254 is set as the prime for that set already.
2254 has call forward busy and call forward no answer and it all works aok
But if you are outside this building (or even inside) and dial area code-###-3673 (boss' private line) is also rings at that set provided my boss is not already on the line. If she is, it rings busy. Thats what needs to change.
She gives out her private line number so people can dial her direct form wherever they are without having to go through the receptionist. But she also has an extenstion so the receptionist can forward her calls to her extension without having to dial her private line.
And I am not following on the what line is assigned to the extensions thing. We have target lines 361 through 680 but there is nothing in there to say line 375 or whatever belongs with phone number xxx-3673 or anything else. ALl our target lines say exactly the same thing and don't seem to be associated in any way with our "incoming lines".
Would screenshots from me help any?

is it just a plain telephone line? if so, it will be busy if she is on it, there is no way to fix that, other than adding a line and putting in a hunt group with the first line.

Or does this line come in on a t-1/PRI ?

When u said private line, I assumed u meant DID. If it's a regular analog business line, then u will get a busy signal if it's in use. The phone system has no control of the line when it's busy. U could order a second line on that number which will mean a second call could be rec'd and the 3rd caller would get a busy tone.

Its part of our system, not just some random number.
We moved recently from temp trailers into an actual building (ie, minor disruption of service, changed extenstions).
In the trailers we set her up an extension and a private line.
Its not DID now, but it wasn't then either, nor part of a hunt group. It was simply named "private" instead of "Line 1" with its own pool and its own prime line.
I'm really not too savvy with these things hey, I'm just in accounting, but there is no one else, not even the telco, willing to deal with it.

Sounds like you need to find a local Nortel dealer.

Rick

we need to know if the line is a DID or a POTS line. It sounds like POTS if it rings busy when a second call hists it. Can you look in programing at the phone in question and look at line access/line assignment and see what is programed to ring on that phone. That is another strange part of this, you say the line rings on the phoen when she isnt on it, but doesnt forward to vm, but her extension does forward to vm. Usually anythign that rings on the phone follows the CFNA setting.

What you need is to call the phone company and have them forward the line when busy to your main number. That way the call will come thru and not get a busy. Then when answered it can either be transfered to the extention or to VM. This sound like an analog line not a target and the name of the line is private.

Let me catch up here.

Curlycord: I don't have an option to make anything in the target lines.

BombOne: I really don't know the answer if the 3673 is a DID or a POTS. I simply don't see it at all in the bcm anywhere in order to find that info out. Does this info below help at all?
On her set (ext 2254) line 9 is set to appear & ring on ext 2254. All other lines are appear only. The extension is set to forward to her cell when not answered and to vm when busy.
Line 9 is set as a loop in its own pool with ext 2254 as its prime set.

Cook1082: thats not an option. She doesn't want it to ring at the main set and then ring and then get transferred to her extension. She wants it direct. And I don't know how to set up any "if x number calls in, transfer to x ext" things to bypass reception.

I am really wanting to say that the setup before was two phones and an extra line set up on a separate line pool and put in a hunt group. But she swears there was no extra line involved and isn't going to let me call in to get one activated for us. I am absolutely stuck.

It is an analog line and if you don't have the phone co. do something with it, it is going to get a busy. The phone system can not make the call go anywhere else if there is no path to ring somewhare else.
Your stuck. Could the phone co. forward it when busy to her cell.

OK thanks for that very direct response. I will let her know and I will let our telco rep know and see if she can get any sort of thing done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back