Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF Administration ODBC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnymk

Programmer
Feb 7, 2003
US
Hello Guys:

I'm running Windows 2000 on my local machine and using IIS (as a web server) for a project that I will be working on. I have also installed ColdFusion 5 Studio as well as CF Server on my machine. The SQL Server database that I will be using is located on another machine/server which is in the same domain as my local machine. With a help of a member here, I have set up my ODBC (System DSN) settings to point to the database server and successfully tested the data source. I can see the data source name on the CF Administrator ODBC Data Sources page but I get the following error message when I try to verify the connection. Could someone please give me some idea on how to fix this?????

The error message is as follows:

The connection to the data source failed. Check the following to resolve this problem:

Are the data source settings configured properly?

Did you provide valid security information in the data source settings ?

For some databases the ColdFusion Server may need to be logged in under a special NT account rather than the default System Account. Use the Windows NT Services Control Panel to change the account the ColdFusion Server service is using.

Thanks in advance!!!!

There is no one who can help me out with this problem??????

So what are the answers to the questions posed in the error message?

My first guess would be permissions. Make sure that SYSTEM has read (and write if necessary) permissions to the database in question. As a general rule, I always make Administrator and SYSTEM have full control.

Just something to try,
MG

Here's something -
Make sure the NAME of the SERVER under cfadministrator is the SAME NAME as the name you used in the client configuration option when you set up a manual ODBC connection.
Chances are it's a name resolution issue

Also, try this
Under the Sql Server Programs Menu in Start menu,
go to Server Config
make sure both named pipes and TCPIP are enabled for your server

Client configuration
Create a TCP (NOT named pipes) alias
Name it myserver or whatever you want
Map it to the IP of your new server
Make sure the port is 1433, unless you installed sql server on a seperate port
click apply

Then in CFadmin, in the new datasource, use NAME of the new alias you just created as the SERVER NAME.
Click advanced and make sure you enter a login/password for the db.
If it's a domain- you will need the login name to be DOMAIN\username

If that fails, create a new sqlserver login for coldfusion access in the database iteself and use that as the username/pw

Hope this helps.-
neal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back