Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF 5 to MX Server Upgrade Disaster!!! IIS all pooched up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickturner

Programmer
Sep 23, 2003
US
Hey Guys-
Thanks in advance for even reading this- Tonight I upgraded our web server from Cold Fusion 5 to MX. I put in the disk, click the right buttons proceeded with the install and got the 'Success' message at the end- However, I got an error instead of my admin page and now when I go to my web site, I get a window authentication message box asking for user, password and domain.
What the heck went wrong? I assume IIS doens't like something, but why would the Cold Fusion install have any effect on IIS in that way? I'm super bummed out right now- the site is down- Macromedia tech support is closed and my dedicated support guy at my hosting company (bless his soul, he's one of the good ones) ran out of ideas.
If anyone out ther has any ideas, I'm pretty much at my witt's end.
Anyhow- hope someone has a good idea- otherwise I'm looking at a remove and reinstall and a lot of hail marry's!
Thanks
Pt

I found this posted in the Macromedia Forums:

Also, in IIS check to make sure the CFIDE folder is allowing anonymous access in Directory Security (under the Default web site).

Let us know if you're still having problems.

Hope This Helps!

Ecobb
- I hate computers!

Ok- just in case this helps anyone here's what went down and how it got fixed.

My MX install failed but the installer wizard reported a success- I had a macromedia tech term into my server and he said the IIS Connector was messed up and was able to fix it running a few batch files found in CfusionMX\bin\connectors they were remove_all_connectors.bat and then IIS_connector.bat.
He also had me check the following in IIS:

1. ISAPI connector and extension mapping
If CFMX is configured with IIS successfully, you should be able to see "JRun Connector Filter' ISAPI filter and .CFM extension in IIS master properties

2. /CFIDE directory structure for CF Administrator
Please check whether there is a /CFIDE directory under web root of IIS. If you don't have it, then it might be a failure of installation. If you instlled CFMX with internal web server using port 8500, then you might find this directory in {cfmx-root}/ directory

In the ISAPI extension mappings, there were still reminants from CF5 - denoted by the .cfm and .db* extensions (I forget what the second extension was but by the executable path, you could tell is was a cf5 left over)- He had me remove those.

At that point, he said the MX install was good and I should check the CFAdministrator- which seemed perfect- However, IIS was still asking for authentication....

So, in the master properties of the machine in IIS, under directory security, I had to reselect the IUSER account - clicking the box that allows IIS to manage the password-

Then! Bingo- things were working again. Though Macromedia didn't think the install hosed up IIS, which it may not have, things clearly needed more than a reboot.

If this helps anyone along- good. If not, thank you for trying to lend a hand. It's been a stressfull night, but at last, everything is back to normal.

Thanks!
PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back