Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF 5.0 on Linux 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcalarco

MIS
Apr 13, 2001
US
Has anyone on the list implemented CF 5.0 on Linux? What's your experience with it? We're currently on NT with CF 4.5 Pro and are thinking of moving to CF 5.0 Enterprise on Linux. Any gotchas anyone? Thanks in advance!

- pascal

We use the Enterprise version running on a Solaris for our production server. It took a couple of installs to get it tweaked just right. My suggestion is to understand all the of services that you will be using before install i.e. smtp, LDAP(iPlanet is the only one they "technically" support), hardware monitoring, FTP, cluster etc. Most of this is allreay part of IIS and NT operating system, but will have to be installed for the Linux box seperatly.

For security and reliability alone I highly recommend running it on a Linux/Solaris box. My only question is do you have an EXPERIENCED Linux admin that can maintain it? If you are unsure about this..then I would stick with what you currently using.

Our experience has been great since we went live with it. We have not suffered any downtime at all. With the extra time that we spent setting it up, it has been great to work with. It requires little maintaince outside of clear logs every now and then and changing out tapes for backups.

hope that helps,
jgroove

Watch out for case sensitivity in your coding, it has cause me a few problem on the Linux version. Also if you use CFX tags!!! Most CFX tags are Windows DLL files and therefore don't work on the Linux version.

Apart from that, it installed first time with no problems all and everything worked out of the box...

Best Regards

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back