Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CF 4.5.1 Ent Solaris & DB on windows NT? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webgal

MIS
Oct 29, 1998
AU
Am new to coldfusion and our web server is currently running on solaris so I am about to purchase the enterprise version for solaris.

Just want to check...will I be able to communicate with databases running on windows platforms as well as unix platforms?

Thanks in advance

I haven't used CF on a Solaris machine, but as long as CF supports ODBC on that platform, it shouldn't matter what OS the database is on... DarkMan

I'm not sure about UNIX to NT but I have been able to gain access from an NT machine to NOVELL where my databases are. The kicker was I had to install the Novell client on my NT machine. I would check the white papers on the allaire site to find out about compatibility. I'm sure since you have the ability to connect to SQL and Access databases this must be possible. SQL runs on NT. Access databases could be stored anywhere. Good luck!

Sheryl :)

This is for Sherylj.
I am running CF on a win2k workstation. I need to access my Novell NDS via web pages, but I cannot for the life of me figure out the starting code to do it. Can you help me?

Brianjay

Hey Brian,

I did this years ago at a previous job and as I remember, you will need to create an account for CF to run under. This account will have to exist in the NDS with the same password. With CF set to run under the account, you should then be able to use a standard UNC to access files with <cffile> and such. I believe at the time that not all CF tags supported UNCs so certain functions wouldn't work. The syntax was just <cffile action=&quot;read&quot; file=&quot;\\novell_server_name\Share_Point\filename.txt&quot;....>

I can remember that for certain situations, I had to login to the server with the account that CF was running under, then I mapped a drive to the UNC that CF would access, logged out, and then restarted CF. The important step in this process was not mapping a drive to a specific letter like you normally would but mapping it to the &quot;blank&quot; option at the bottom of the list. This basically allowed CF to map a drive for it's own use at startup. I don't remember why we had to do this but it may have been so that CF could use a datasource located on another machine.

Hope this helps,
GJ

This is exactly why we did it and had to jump through the same hoops. It worked great after all the kinks were worked out.

Sheryl :)

Gunjack, Sherylj,
I appreciate the response, but most of what you explained to me is foreign. I'm 3 months into CF and 2.5 months into Novell. Could you explain this in a little more detail for me. If I need to call you, I would be glad to do that too.

brianjay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back