Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crichton

Technical User
Dec 17, 2007
GB
Do you get a certificate for every exam you pass as well as for each certification ??

I was asking because I wanted to know how I can prove to a potential employer that I have passed certain exams. Is the only option to print of the transcript from the MCP website ?

Thanks
Lee.

When you take an exam at a testing site such as Prometric, they will print you out an official sheet with your score, whether you passed or failed, and a bar graph showing all the areas of the exam that you were tested on. And you get this for every exam you take. Good luck!!!

- Brad

"If the doctors told me I had 5 minutes to live, I would type faster.

Yeah, I have the official sheet, but I was just wondering if there is anything that is a bit more presentable.

The other problem with the official sheets you get is that when you go for the exam you can't take a bag or folder or anything to put it in afterwards. My last exam pass confirmation sheet is folded into about eight squares as the only place I could put it was in my pocket.

I'll just have to use the transcript from the MCP site, at least I can download that in PDF format and print it off.

Microsoft's MCP site has a way to share your transcript. You set a password and then email it to whoever and let them know your MCP # and the password. They'll be able to view the transcript right from the MCP site. Check it out...it might be exactly what you're looking for

Yeah, it's called the Transcript Sharing Tool. I put that on my resume so that potential employers can verify my credentials. I think it's a little cleaner than attaching a copy of the transcript (fewer pages). Of course, if you're only concerned about showing your certifications instead of the individual exams, you can always flash your MCP ID card. It lists all of your certs on it.

For my present employer I just get them a photocopy of the results page so that they'll reimburse me for the exam.

It lists all of your certs on it.
The old cert card does. The new one doesn't list all the certs. It shows if you have one or more MCTS certs, and one or more MCITP certs, and one or more MCA certs and that's it.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Yeah, I guess you'll have to use the MCP website if you want to use something a little more "presentable". Also, the printout off the MCP site doesn't show what you have failed or what you scored, it only shows what you've passed. Thats the way I would go anyways, I don't think I would show anyone what my real score was unless I got somewhere in the 900's.

Brad L. - MCP

"If the doctors told me I had 5 minutes to live, I would type faster.

Scores on MCP exams are irrelivent. A pass is a pass, and a fail is a fail which is why the MCP transcript doesn't include scores.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

My Blog

Agreed...a pass is a pass.

BTW, the MCP card that I got in the mail last week lists MCP, MCSA, and MCSA:Security on it. Oh...you meant the 2008-style card rather than the 2003.

Correct the new gen card only shows the basic info. The card for the old certs still shows which specific exams you've passed.

Denny

My Blog

I'm sure on the MCP site there is a certificate creation tool this allows you to print certificates, you can also make a pretty version of your transcript for printing. For most certs you also get a welcome pack but you have to order it from the MCP site.

I've seen a logo creation tool, but not a certificate creation tool (it's been a while since I've logged onto the MCP site).

Denny

My Blog

I seem to recall the newer exams allow you to print certificates on the MCP site.

Dazed and confused

Correct, for 2003 and previous certs you can create a logo. For the new certs (MCTS, MCITP, etc) you create the logo and then can creatre a cerificate that uses the logo. You cannot create a certificate for a 2003 cert though.

I just checked out the cert down-loader. It's definitely a new feature. That's pretty cool that you can do that now.

Denny

My Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back