Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certifcate Authority and Domain Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sab4you

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
Another admin installed a CA on a file server for testing purposes. Not sure how/what was configured, but according to the admin, we are not using any certificates from it, and its not needed.

All is fine and dandy until I create a new domain controller and use dcpromo to promote it. The promote fails, and after diagnosing and figuring it out, its because the built in windows firewall on the file server was blocking rpc ports to the new DC to allow it to communicate and get a 'domain certificate' from the certificate server.

Now my question is, did the CA install somehow integrate into our 2003 domain? Can we uninstall it, or is it now a part of it and cannot be uninstalled without issues?

Is your domain controller or the file server running SP1? yes you can uninstall but use the wizard.

Switch off that firewall and dcpromo again i would suggest

Lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back