Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certain Apps Dont run when logging into Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

max1mum

Programmer
Jan 8, 2003
US
We are upgrading from a peer to peer network with a DHCP server to active Directory. Whenever I log into the domain i Am unable to run applications like winamp,Labeling Software, and MS Applications always want to install something? They give me runtime errors or unable to unlock license type messages. When i log into the machine locally everything runs fine. Do I need to copy all the software we use onto a appserver to be able to provide programs to users that require them? Not really sure what to do right now. Any suggestions or tips on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- Max1mum

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer
- Studying for MCSD

HI.

This is probably a permissions issue.

The users on the domain are by default granted limitted permissions on workstations. This can be changed in several ways, for example:

Note - all changes described here are to be done at the workstations, NOT at the server:

* Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Groups:
Add the domain user account to either the "Power Users" group or to the "Administrators" group.
If "Power Users" solves the problem then it is the better option.

* Changing local permissions:
First - use NTBACKUP to backup the system state of the workstation.
Start - Run - MMC
File - Add/Remove snap-in
Add the "Security Configuration and Analysis" snap-in.
Right Click - Open Database...
Type any name for the database.
When prompted for "Import Template", select: "compatws.inf"
(Compatible Workstation)
Right Click - Configure Computer Now...

Yizhar Hurwitz

For the Second Option does it matter which account i edit the "compatws.inf" file from? Because I can see it when i log in locally, but when i log into the domain the directory defaults to my documents and the file is not there.

- Maximum

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer
- Studying for MCSD

Ok i just added the domain user to the [Power User] Group on the local machine and everything runs better now. THANKS A LOT!!

- Max1mum

Max1mum.
- VBA Programmer
- Studying for MCSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back